We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Legoland or San Diego Zoo

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
863 posts
Save Topic
Legoland or San Diego Zoo

Would you recommend Legoland or San Diego Zoo with a 5 year old? Keep in mind we are coming to San Diego after a week in Anaheim at Disneyland, Universal, etc. We are already planning on going to Seaworld. Just cant decide between the zoo and legoland. Both look awesome, and unfortunately we don't have time to do both. Thanks for your advice.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Legoland or San Diego Zoo

Before I get yelled at by the TA police, the correct way to spell it is LEGOLAND. I think for a 5 year old, LEGOLAND is going to be wonderful. They can do pretty much everything in the park which is built for 5-9 year olds which is not something one can say about Disneyland ® But if you are doing 5 days at Disneyland® then the zoo would be something different and unusual and the good part is that you wont be standing in 1-2 hour lines when you are at the zoo.

LEGOLAND is in Carlsbad about 40 or so minutes North of SD. If you are staying in San Diego then the zoo is a short drive away.

Edited: 29 November 2012, 11:07
Colorado
Level Contributor
863 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Legoland or San Diego Zoo

Thanks. I was kind of thinking the samething in that we may be burned out on amusement partks. However, is the San Diego Zoo any different than any other zoo? I mean we visit our zoo here in Denver frequently so I wasn't sure if it would be on the same level as just a local zoo. Although I have heard it's a really amazing zoo. The website doesn't show much, one way or another.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Legoland or San Diego Zoo

The San Diego is large and well known, but it is still a zoo.

LEGOLAND California is a resort that consists of three different gated attractions. The main Theme/Ride park, the SEALIFE Aquarium and a Water Park (not open year round). The park main focus is for kids and LEGO fans of all ages. It is a lot different than going to a Disney Park, so I would choose it over the Zoo. (Actually I would do bot, but understand with time constraints you have to pick and choose).

San Diego...
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Legoland or San Diego Zoo

We live here and we are biased. I would go to the things to do section here on TA and read about the zoo and the reviews there and decide. It is better than one or two people saying you should or should not. I think it is the best zoo in the Western Part of the Country. We have some great zoos in the US, one in NY, Columbus and in DC but I think this one stands out among all the zoos on the West. Perhaps the Denver one is good but I personally have not taken my gals there, it was not in our list of things to do in Denver.

It is on the list of most families who visit San Diego with young kids

It is not just a neighborhood zoo but one of the most popular ones in the country.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Legoland or San Diego Zoo

Here are direct links to the TA reviews of both locations.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

San Diego...
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Legoland or San Diego Zoo

You may want to look at the profile photo of the previous poster to decide if there is a certain bias towards -- theme parks.

To that poster-- the question was whether to take a 5 year old to the zoo and not "you"

I think there are guidelines as to who can post on TA and 5 year olds cannot so I presume you are older and not a 5 year old.

IF zoos are zoos, then theme parks are theme parks. LEGOLAND theme park is a theme park with rides and shows.

If we are comparing theme parks -- there is something majestic about Disneyland ® the characters there from Mickey on down and something magical about the parades et al that would make someone very happy at that age but for the amount of money that one spends on a family, the young one cannot or wont do all the scary rides and roller coasters.

LEGOLAND® is built for young kids and 5 year olds can do everything and relatively speaking the lines are shorter

But they are both themeparks

Edited: 29 November 2012, 11:38
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,711 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Legoland or San Diego Zoo

To my mind I think a 5 year old would be zoned out on amusement parks after Disneyland and Universal(not even sure Universal is right for that age?)

When are you coming and how long do you have in San Diego??

There are lots of things to see/do that are not theme parks which might just make for a different sort of activity for you and your child.

With that said a 5 year old is the perfect age for Legoland.

I am not sure the adults will get much enjoyment out of it??

The zoo is a place where folks of all ages can find something interesting.

BTW the zoo is located inside Balboa Park which has small museums(including hands on science and Nat. History with dinosaur stuff etc.. There's also outdoor entertainers especially on the weekends.

IF you are coming in winter(now) then the annual production of The Grinch That Stole Christmas at the live theater (Old Globe ) in the park would also be a fun activity.

IF you are coming when the weather is nice then I'd suggest going to a beach to play in the sand even if it might be too cold for swimming!

5 year olds like to be active and have new experiences so perhaps if the adults had something that interested them then they could introduce the child to that too like the USS Midway ship or ????????

There's a great big interesting world out there!

Colorado
Level Contributor
863 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Legoland or San Diego Zoo

Great points Riff. We are going to be in San Diego for 4 days. We will do Seaworld one day, we have a day set aside as a beach day, and then either LEGOLAND or the Zoo another day and the last day we go home that evening so not planning anything for that day. We will be there during the summer time, so weather is going to be nice.

I do understand that Universal is not really age 5 appropriate but hoping she will have some fun out of it as that's the major thing the adults want to do on this trip. And grandma will be along to hang out with her if there are rides or attractions she cannot go on.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Legoland or San Diego Zoo

Make sure and take advantage of the Child Switch waiting areas at Universal. These are special areas where part of the group can wait, and after the first group is finished riding, then part of the second group can ride without waiting in the queue, the new Transformers one is very nice.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,711 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Legoland or San Diego Zoo

Knowing you are here in summer changes my advice as the zoo can be hot on a hot day. I'd wait until you are here and then decide!

Legoland has a water park and a small aquarium sort of place so you might want to spend 2 days there(perhaps stay nearby??) instead of just one day.

On the other hand IF the adults have not been to San Diego before then you guys might want to check out some of the other activities or things like renting bikes or a 4 wheeled surrey that can be pedaled by the whole family along the shore. Go to La Jolla cove for gorgeous scenery and to see the seals on the beach in their native environment.

Spend some time actually seeing the city and not just the inside of theme parks. (just my opinion)