We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to caverns in mid oct

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
15 posts
111 reviews
Going to caverns in mid oct

Maybe someone can help me please. We arrive oct 20 and on the 21 we will go to the caverns but i have to leave carlsbad to los angeles oct 21 in the afternoon or night. Where can i drive to take a flight since carlsbad airport has only early morning flights and i cant stay the night. Thankyou in advance for replies

3 replies to this topic
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
135 reviews
1. Re: Going to caverns in mid oct

The closest major airport is El Paso, TX Southwest is a primary carrier at that airport

However, you won't have much time in the Caverns. Just the walk in the main entrance and the big room will take approximately 3 hours. El Paso is 149 miles from the caverns, so figure at least 2 1/2 hours driving with no stops.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,627 posts
86 reviews
2. Re: Going to caverns in mid oct

Yes , fly into El Paso ..To save time, lodge at Whites City, Parks entrance. Rather than Carlsbad town ... Drive back in the 180. Turn in the rental car & fly El-Paso/ LA ... Happy trails ... carracar

Edited: 12 September 2017, 14:41
4 posts
3. Re: Going to caverns in mid oct

You probably already booked your flights, but for the next person...El Paso is the nearest "big" airport, but it is about the same distance as Lubbock or Midland Odessa airports, but all are a 2.5-3 hour drive. When people come to visit me (live in Carlsbad) I usually suggest they fly in/out of the Roswell airport, airport code ROW via American Airlines. The drive is about 1.5 hours to Carlsbad from there. They only offer direct flights to Phoenix and Dallas, but you can get quick connecting flights from there to most big cities, including Los Angeles. It's a small airport so security is quick and painless. Flights are about the same price as from ELP if you book in advance.

So you can do 1.5 hours drive to ROW, then 4 hours flight from ROW-PHW-LAX, so total 5.5 hours, versus 2.5 hours to ELP+2.5 hours nonstop flight. Just depends whether you prefer more driving or more flying I suppose. But for others who can't get a direct flight from ELP anyway, Roswell through PHX or DFW is often a better choice.

Reply to: Going to caverns in mid oct
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted