We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping near Carlsbad?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
42 reviews
Camping near Carlsbad?

Hello! I'm looking for a place to tent camp in the Carlsbad area while I travel in the area with my two sons. We plan to visit Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe Mtns NPs while there in June. I'd prefer a campsite that is not an RV park, but having trouble finding anything at all right now! Any insights or suggestions are welcome!

Thank you!

Dave

14 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,300 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Camping near Carlsbad?

June will be very hot, not sure if tent camping is something I'd want to do.

Guadalupe Mtns NP has 2 small campgrounds. https://www.nps.gov/gumo/eatingsleeping.htm

Carlsbad NP does not have any campgrounds but you can camp in the backcountry with a permit. Also BLM land in the area allows camping, but do check before heading out, lots of oil and gas work going on, don't want to be camping along a right of way for a pipeline. Check this link https:/…eatingsleeping.htm

. Nearby is White's City with a small rv park, not fancy at all.

Brantley Lake SP is north of the city of Carlsbad. …state.nm.us/spd/brantleylakestatepark.html

Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
3,283 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: Camping near Carlsbad?

Another vote against camping in June. Really unpleasant. If you like the idea of laying in your tent sweating and not getting a wink of sleep as sweat rolls down your back all night, go for it :)

Aurora, Illinois
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Santa Fe, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
159 reviews
3. Re: Camping near Carlsbad?

Have to agree…it’ll be miserable to camp then. I’ve visited the caverns a couple times in July…I “camped” at the KOA north of Carlsbad (the caverns are south)…in an air conditioned Kamping Kabin. Definitely the right choice.

Keith

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
86 reviews
4. Re: Camping near Carlsbad?

Should it prove too hot. Take a room in Whites City. At the Park entrance ... Traveling in the South West in summer plan on camping in high elevation areas for more comfortable nights ... happy trails ... carracar

Edited: 20 March 2018, 23:55
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: Camping near Carlsbad?

Weather generally doesn't deter me from location, but I'll take the advice here. I've camped (as in, tent camped) in rain, wind, snow, below zero, heat, sand, lightning, etc. Heat isn't too bad after the sun goes down. I do love camping at higher elevations, though! Is there a location you'd recommend? The more I look at Carlsbad, the less likely I think we'll stay there.

Thank you all for your replies.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
86 reviews
6. Re: Camping near Carlsbad?

Run "up" to Cloud croft ... Happy trails ... carracar

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,567 posts
270 reviews
7. Re: Camping near Carlsbad?

I also vote for Cloudcroft. A lovely little town and within driving distance (2 1/2 hrs.). Also just a short drive to White Sands National Monument. If the temp is above 85 degrees the monument suggests not starting a true hike but you can drive through and it's spectacular. Plus if you time it right they have full moon hikes with rangers that are awesome. But every night there are Sunset Strolls with a ranger that might be fun. https:/…sunset-stroll.htm

Los Alamos, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Los Alamos
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
216 reviews
8. Re: Camping near Carlsbad?

Cloudcroft would certainly work, but it's not very close to Carlsbad. I recommend a look at the Lincoln National Forest's camping information, web site https:/…camping-cabins -- note that there are *no* campgrounds listed for the Carlsbad Ranger District in the forest, and there's a reason for that. I have camped numerous times in the Guadalupe Mountains on caving trips (primitive camping, not campground camping), but even those will be scorching hot in the summer, as they're not all that high.

Pamper yourself (relatively...) and get actual lodging while visiting Carlsbad Caverns, with the caveat (ugh) that it'll be expensive; lodging is at a premium in town right now due to the oil boom.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
42 reviews
9. Re: Camping near Carlsbad?

SusieLou/canbelto: Excellent information, exactly what I was looking for. I'm not opposed to camping an hour or so away, as I don't mind driving. The main reason I like to go camping, and in tents, is to get away from it all. The middle of New Mexico is about as "away" as I can get I think.

I was wondering why hotels in Carlsbad were $300 a night!! Wow. I was just looking for hotels in downtown Boston and they aren't as expensive. A Days Inn for $390? I could stay at the Four Seasons for that much.

Cloudcroft has the relative proximity to Roswell and White Sands, which I'd love to see while out there. The city of Carlsbad is looking less and less like an option.

Thank you again.

Dave

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,567 posts
270 reviews
10. Re: Camping near Carlsbad?

Carlsbad is in the midst of an oil/gas boom. Housing is expensive. It's sad that folks can't afford to visit the Caverns due to the lodging prices.

Reply to: Camping near Carlsbad?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted