We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with 10 year old twin boys. What to do?

2 posts
2 reviews
Traveling with 10 year old twin boys. What to do?

I'm taking my twin 10 year old grandsons from San Angelo, TX to Belen, NM via Carlsbad and need to know what not to miss while we're there. We aren't limited to just one overnight if there is enough to do that kids that young will enjoy. I'm originally from PA so I know nothing about the areas. Any specific advice would be much appreciated!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,310 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Traveling with 10 year old twin boys. What to do?

I'd spend 2 nights in the Carlsbad area. Visit the Caverns one day, then maybe play along the Pecos River and also see the Living Desert SP. Drive to White Sands NM near Alamogordo. Sled the dunes early in the morning, also see the Space Science Museum in Alamogordo, a great place for kids that age.

2 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Traveling with 10 year old twin boys. What to do?

Thank you so very much for taking the time to send me the expert and wonderful info! We will indeed take your advice and spend 2 days. I have a few questions, though:

Would it be best to spend 1 night in Carlsbad and 1 in Alamogordo?

What and where is the Living Desert SP?

Where is the dune sledding located and what times?

Again, we thank you for your kindness!

Claudia

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,310 posts
58 reviews
3. Re: Traveling with 10 year old twin boys. What to do?

I'd spend 2 nights in Carlsbad, Living Desert SP in there. You will spend a full day in the caverns with kids that age (been there done that) and then take a day or so to enjoy the beach/river and Living Desert. …state.nm.us/SPD/livingdesertstatepark.html

White Sands NM has dunes all over and sledding is everywhere. It will be VERY hot in the summer, so be safe with lots of water, sunscreen and visit during early morning hours. Buy sleds in town or buy and resell back to the monument. https:/…sledding.htm

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
86 reviews
4. Re: Traveling with 10 year old twin boys. What to do?

Lodge at Whites City. at the Caverns entrance and walk down to the primary attraction ... Next night yes, in "Gordo" One canrent "sledding' disks at the White Sands Monument ... The following night perhaps at T or C to wash off the sand ... Happy trails .... carracar

Carlsbad, New Mexico
Level Contributor
74 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Traveling with 10 year old twin boys. What to do?

I'm not sure of the date of your trip but Carlsbad just opened a small water park. Doing that and then going to the "beach" at the river for a paddle boat ride would be fun for 10 year olds. Also, at sunset you can go to the caverns and watch the bats as they leave the caves. It is free and really interesting.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,422 posts
208 reviews
6. Re: Traveling with 10 year old twin boys. What to do?

Watching the bats is an unforgettable experience, IMO.

7. Re: Traveling with 10 year old twin boys. What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2018, 18:15