We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on Trip Itinerary

Fernandina Beach...
Destination Expert
for Cumberland Island
Level Contributor
253 posts
105 reviews
Suggestions on Trip Itinerary

Hello,

I am coming to visit my son who is stationed at Cannon AFB. We are staying in Carlsbad on 9/3. My plan is to drive from Cannon and either visit Guadalupe Mtn National Park or Sitting Bulls Falls on 9/3.

My main concern is the heat, if we choose to do one of the hikes at the Park vs. The Falls. I am coming from GA, so am familiar with hot summers. I am undecided and hope to get some feedback.

We will visit Carlsbad Caverns for the bat flight that evening and then tour The Caverns on 9/4. After the Caverns on our way back, we plan on stopping at Bottomless Lake before heading back to Cannon.

I have only driven thru NM, never had a chance to see the sights. I welcome any all suggestions and tips. I may have missed something and want to make the most of this trip.

Thank you for reading!

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
189 reviews
1. Re: Suggestions on Trip Itinerary

Sorry I can't answer your specific questions but wonder if you'll be heading out on the southern route, which would take you near Big Bend. I spent three days camping in the mountain area there one September a few years ago, and really enjoyed it. The campground was only about 1/4 full and the weather was nice (after our hot, dry, and humid summer here in the southeast, I can't imagine that the dry heat would be a problem for you, especially in the mountain area of BBNP and, knowing how much you like CI, I think you'd really enjoy BB). I've travelled quite a bit in the NM area north and west of I-40 (just a little south of there, an area I hope to explore later this fall).

Fernandina Beach...
Destination Expert
for Cumberland Island
Level Contributor
253 posts
105 reviews
2. Re: Suggestions on Trip Itinerary

Thank you! I will check Big Bend out:) I hope you get to explore NM more...I'm sure I will be spending more time in NM, now that my son is stationed there.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,393 posts
61 reviews
3. Re: Suggestions on Trip Itinerary

We just returned from the area about 2 weeks ago. It was warm, but very different from here in the northeast. We have humidity; NM doesn't . If you stay hydrated, you will be fine.

You will love Carlsbad and the Bat Flight. Both the caverns and bat flight were amazing. About 2 hours or so away in Alamogordo, check out White Sands National Monument. If you don't see it this time, plan on it another time. It was out of this world! If it's warm try to hit there later in the day or early in the morning. We also liked Roswell and its quirkiness. The story is very interesting. That's about 90 minutes from Carlsbad.

We didn't do Sitting Bull Falls, but we drove through Guadalupe Mountains National Park on our way to El Paso to fly home. We did a short trail at the visitor's center. There aren't a lot of short trails there; it seemed to be more of a backcountry park. The mountains were lovely, and I took some great pics.

Fernandina Beach...
Destination Expert
for Cumberland Island
Level Contributor
253 posts
105 reviews
4. Re: Suggestions on Trip Itinerary

Thank you so much! I just did a little research and sledding on sand, sounds really fun. We will probably skip Guadalupe this time around, I'm sill thinking and mapping everything out. I so appreciate your input. Thanks again:)

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,393 posts
61 reviews
5. Re: Suggestions on Trip Itinerary

Just in case you'd like to read them, here's trip reports that I did on the area:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29760…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60761…

This way, you can get an idea what we did. We saw lots of people sledding at White Sands. You can either purchase or rent sleds at the visitor's center. Some hotels in Alamogordo have them as well, as does WalMart. I think the neatest thing we saw was a group putting up an American Flag where they were hanging out.

Just an FYI...a lot of restaurants in the town of Carlsbad are closed on Sundays.

Fernandina Beach...
Destination Expert
for Cumberland Island
Level Contributor
253 posts
105 reviews
6. Re: Suggestions on Trip Itinerary

Thank you! I have great information to work with:) good to know about the restaurants, I will plan accordingly.

7. Re: Suggestions on Trip Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2017, 18:15