We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving Day Parade Viewing Party/Brunch 2018

Grand Prairie, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Thanksgiving Day Parade Viewing Party/Brunch 2018

Hello!

Relatively last minute, my husband and I had to switch our NYC vacation from March of 2019 to November of 2018. Downside: I was looking forward to seeing the city when it was a little warmer (we went in December last time). Upside? we'll be there for the Thanksgiving Day parade. I'm fully aware of how nuts the city probably gets on this day, which is why we'd like to take the "easy way out" and find a good viewing party to go to. I've SCOURED google and this website and have only found a few. Some are sold out, some are WAY out of price range. This being a bucket list item, we're willing to spend about $300 each and I think I found one, but I'm a little nervous to buy the tickets. I can't find any reviews on past events, or reviews on this company that's putting the event on. Their website is www.uplyftnow.com (I had to contact them through Eventbrite to even find out who was putting it on) and below is the link to the Eventbrite page for this event. I've looked at google street views and it looks to be a pretty good spot for viewing. I've heard you don't want to be high, nor too low. So 2nd floor seems good? I don't know, it seems a little too good to be true to me.

https:/…

Any insight?

thanks!

30 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
987 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Thanksgiving Day Parade Viewing Party/Brunch 2018

Don’t feel bad about the weather - March IMO is the worst! Freezing and wet and after three months of cold weather you just want it to be OVER. The past two March-s we had blizzards. November may be chilly but it’s usually blue sky and dry and people are happy to put on a cozy sweater and enjoy the fall.

Grand Prairie, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Thanksgiving Day Parade Viewing Party/Brunch 2018

oh that makes me feel better! I was actually envisioning the cool but dry and blue skies in March, so I guess we kind of dodged that bullet! We're staying in Chelsea so i'm hoping the weather is nice enough to do a lot of walking around the Highline and other things!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
105,194 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Thanksgiving Day Parade Viewing Party/Brunch 2018

I don't get what that company is offering but don't do it! There really is no place with a great view indoors.

Wayfarer, Asiata, Stella at Macy,s, Robert restaurant at the top of the Museum of Art & Design are the places I know with some sort of food.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
48 reviews
4. Re: Thanksgiving Day Parade Viewing Party/Brunch 2018

$300 for pastries and coffee? And big tv screens?? No. Pack some food and bring a thermos w coffee or something hot and watch along the parade route until you have had enough. Or go to one of the places NY Whiz recommended. When something sounds either suspicious or too good to be true, it usually is.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,838 posts
233 reviews
5. Re: Thanksgiving Day Parade Viewing Party/Brunch 2018

Have you bothered to look up Toast Cafe Brasserie on the internet? It looks like a very narrow deli/coffee shop like you might go for takout to your office lunch at your desk. They can't fit too many seats in there. Do you understand that sidewalks in NYC are (except for setback office buildings, for example) public space that a property owner does not control? I also think this venue is riskily-close to Macy's itself and the end of the parade. Considering that both companies you provided links to are "service providers" (not actual sponsors of the product you are proposing to buy), this strikes me as a very risky proposition. I suppose they have a bathroom for the employees, but probably not for customers on regular business days (I did not inspect the location .... ) and that's one of the big values for Parade Day. I would not buy this pig-in-a-poke.

Grand Prairie, Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Thanksgiving Day Parade Viewing Party/Brunch 2018

yes, I have 'bothered' to look it up. I tried to do as much research as possible before posting here. I looked at street views, patron photos of the store, read countless articles talking about what was and wasn't the best "view" of the parade. Once I saw the venue I emailed the company again to ask if they would be inviting so many people that the second floor views would be useless, and have not yet heard back. And yes, I do understand that the sidewalks are public space (?). One of the draws to something like this is having the second story, indoor views of the parade so that we'd be able to see both the floats and dancers, etc, on the ground as well as the balloons. At least this is what I've read several times over.

Anyway, it's seeming like it's not a good idea, and I appreciate the advice.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,838 posts
233 reviews
7. Re: Thanksgiving Day Parade Viewing Party/Brunch 2018

I happen to have been on a "corporate event" last night, on a boat going around lower Manhattan. Because the weather was poor (and the boat had limited "outdoor" spaces anyway), I want to make another observation. It applies to many "views", including frequent posts here about many (but not 100% of ) restaurants and nightclubs with "views". I frequently point out that the 2nd and 3rd floor restaurants in TIme Warner Center have rather limited views, for all the promise they offer! Going back to Toast Brasserie:

When there are 120 seats (I made up that number) in a room that's 25' wide, and only a few windows, that means that only 20 or 30 seats can be said to have a window view. (Naturally, half the seats at a round table are actually facing away from a window!) If people are crowding around the windows, those prime tables don't even have a "window view" anymore. And if you are not allowed to get up and go to the window, then the worst 60 seats in the room can only see fragments of balloons going by the window that they are 25' away from, in their seats.

There are a certain number of places (like Gaonurri, which does not have a parade view, and is too high up for that anyway) that have massive windows that serve almost everyone in the room. But they are very rare.

I recommend that you locate a bathroom resource and find a place on the street, not so close to Macy's.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
24,739 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Thanksgiving Day Parade Viewing Party/Brunch 2018

It doesn't sound legit. There are a number of restaurants along the parade route that offer breakfast and bathroom privileges but you still have to go outside to watch the parade. There's a few places that offer a view of the parade from inside but they are expensive. Check timeout.com/newyork for info a little cloer to the day.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
987 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Thanksgiving Day Parade Viewing Party/Brunch 2018

I know you are already realizing this isn't a good idea and I will add, IF there is a seat at the window on their 2nd floor you will neither see the dancers on the ground nor the balloons. To see the balloons you will need to put your face almost onto the widow and turn your neck so that you are facing up or wait until they pass then see them in the distance, to see the dancers you will have to do the opposite, have your face on the window and look down. The parade is not out on the distance, it will be too close to the building to have a good view of all the action. It's like standing next to the Empire Ste Building, you are too close to "see" it. If it it was your apt window you could open it and stick your head out, or walk along the windows and get a good view as each float , balloon , performer passes by but if you are stuck inside a deli with several other strangers you will all be crowded at the window with only your little tunnel view of Duane Reade across the street, the people on the opposite sidewalk and maybe some of the marchers on the opposite side of the street.

IMO there are two ways to experience the parade, either outside on the sunny side of the street with a thermos of hot cocoa or at home in PJs comfy and cozy in front of the TV. I've done both and as a 40-something I will ALWAYS pick TV/ Home/Cozy.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
48 reviews
10. Re: Thanksgiving Day Parade Viewing Party/Brunch 2018

"IMO there are two ways to experience the parade, either outside on the sunny side of the street with a thermos of hot cocoa or at home in PJs comfy and cozy in front of the TV. I've done both and as a 40-something I will ALWAYS pick TV/ Home/Cozy."

This cracked me up. I once went to a very lovely and elegant brunch in The Dakota or the Majestic or one of those CPW apartments. We were slightly above the balloon line. I looked out the window for a bit, but people were mostly just socializing and drinking mimosas and eating bagels. If you want to experience the parade, a street view is imperative. Anything else is just a party...or an overpriced brunch.

Reply to: Thanksgiving Day Parade Viewing Party/Brunch 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted