We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irish Neighbourhoods

london
Level Contributor
290 posts
14 reviews
Irish Neighbourhoods

Apart from Woodlawn Yonkers are there any other Irish Neighbourhoods with good Irish Bars play traditional music and serve Bar meals .

27 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19,532 posts
1. Re: Irish Neighbourhoods

Most Irish immigration was so long ago that people have moved out of the old neighborhoods and spread out over the entire area. And neighborhoods that were heavily Irish have now become home to new immigrant groups.

My irish great grandmother raised her kids in east Harlem (1889/1890s) and then eventually moved to the Bronx (the area near the zoo). Her kids lived in Hell's Kitchen, Sunneyside, the far east end of Queens and some in Woodlawn. The next generation spread out - to Nassau county and Westchester (Bronxville) and some to Cleveland, Boston and then Virginia. Her grand children and greats now live over much of the eastern US.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
112 reviews
2. Re: Irish Neighbourhoods

Let me get this right. You are a stones throw from Ireland, but you want to fly across the Pond for some Irish bars and music?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Irish Neighbourhoods

I can see that. Not several nights in a row (unless it’s really fun) but one night, sure. I don’t have anything to recommend but I understand why you’re asking.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
987 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Irish Neighbourhoods

I live in Sunnyside and used to live in Woodside both are traditionally Irish and to this day still very Irish. You will find at least a half dozen Irish pubs at the 61st street stop on the 7 train some with trad sessions. In Sunnyside I suggest The Copper Kettle and Dog and Duck (just changed it’s name to Skillman Café) and there’s a neighborhood Irish singers group that meets at Aubergine during the week.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
69 reviews
5. Re: Irish Neighbourhoods

Forest Avenue-West Brighton on Staten Island.

Plenty of bars, Irish food.

Music-eh not so much.

A German Bar (Nurenberger Bierhaus on Castleton Ave) probably has more Irish music.

Forest Avenue/Staten Island also has one of the largest St Patricks day parades outside of the one in Manhattan

https:/…st_patricks_day_parade_2018_wh.html

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,842 posts
233 reviews
6. Re: Irish Neighbourhoods

There is an Irish bar every four blocks in midtown Manhattan. There are Irish immigrants working in many bars. There are no real Irish Neighborhoods anymore. Even Staten Island, which I incorrectly think of as a Police and Fire employee place, has, today, heavy Latin and other non-European presence. Reply 1 is very helpful and accurate. It is true that NYC is collection of neighborhoods, with their own shopping, dining, and drinking establishments within a few blocks. What's not as well understood is that virtually all of those neighborhoods are, today, multi-ethnic. That is one of NYC's strengths, and why issues like affordable housing (and suppressing AirBnb) are so important.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
7. Re: Irish Neighbourhoods

What obsoperator and nytraveller say. Boston is the city with the most %age Irish Americans & the most visible presence historically, politically of course w JFK, Tip O´Neill, ties during and post "the troubles" Boston College/Sinn Fein links and people interested in maintaining a cultural identity of Irish American.. Irish identity in NYC in bars and music and such currently is more of a marketing deal, a style of dive bar up to decent family style pub and kinda kitsch pseudo nostalgia than anything like a true immigrant community worth visiting from your side of the pond..I do know a few Irish born people in NYC but they are the "I wanna be an actor and meet chica/o types" for whom an Irish music act can be a better day-gig than being a restaurant worker.

One half of one half of my side is more the typical Irish migrant story - 1.5 centuries ago getting away from whatever problems they had gotten into there and looking for a new start/clean slate/heard rumors of gold rush according to my late grandad´s stories. Its funny having done lots of work in Latin America on migration recently there is usually in non-refugee migrant groups a healthy dash of search for adventure nicely concealed in the "oh my family was starving" stories even in the nasty times. Hey I get to be cynical as a migrant here myself descended from lotsa US migrants with some Ellis Island horrific tales but some funny ones too...which as obs says is a strength - la mezcla - the mix..

the honchos in N Am Irish identity: www.irishcentral.com

If you wanna see a real old fashioned Irish American weird pastiche get to Mummers Parade New Years Day in Philadelphia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummers_Parade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNo76RVi2L8

here´s some wild old footage from 1930 Mummers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBAWm04_nXc

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
987 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Irish Neighbourhoods

Have any of you actually been to Woodside/ Sunnyside? IT IS IRISH. Yes less Irish than the 1980’s but it’s still VERY Irish and not as a marketing gimmick. You know a neighborhood has a large immigrant population when the grocery stores stock their home brands and that what the markets do in Sunnyside/Woodside they stock Irish products and I’m sure they are not doing that for the tourist (btw we don’t get any) or Asians, Central Americans, Mexicans, Turks, Nepalese, etc.... Many businesses are Irish owned and are local gathering areas for both old and young Irish. Prior to Saint Patrick’s day we host the Saint Patrick’s Day For All Parade On Saint Patrick’s Day many many many of the marchers and bands (both domestic and those from Ireland) from the 5th Ave parade come to Woodside to extend the celebration and bar hop with the pipes. If there weren’t Irish living here why would they come?

Irish are typically known for being firemen and police officers, after 911 our neighborhood was filled with Irish and American flags as the funeral processions filled our blocks day after day.

Lastly when I went to Dublin 10 years ago my taxi driver at the airport asked where I lived and when I said Woodside he responded, “Oh we call that west Dublin.”

london
Level Contributor
290 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Irish Neighbourhoods

Aye , but I definitely want to be Amongst Irish not what we call plastic paddy’s

london
Level Contributor
290 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Irish Neighbourhoods

And as an Irish man I’ve been in Every county in Ireland in the past 25 years or so

Reply to: Irish Neighbourhoods
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted