We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places near NYC for thanksgiving weekend

California
Level Contributor
125 posts
64 reviews
Places near NYC for thanksgiving weekend

Hi I will meet my daughter ( College student) at NYC in the afternoon of Thanksgiving Day , 4:30pm ish. My daughter would like to spend the thanksgiving weekend at places which is tranquil , pretty , has hiking trails , near water would be better , not far from NYC ( 1 to 2 hour drive), Please advise, thanks!

12 replies to this topic
Bronx, New York
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Places near NYC for thanksgiving weekend

Tarrytown, New York!!! And you could hike at Rockefeller State Preserve. Go to the waterfront park in Tarrytown, or Ossining, Croton Dam Gorge.

Edited: 10 October 2018, 06:01
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
981 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Places near NYC for thanksgiving weekend

Stay at the Mohonk Mountain House, https://www.mohonk.com/ I went to college in the area and have hiked the area (both sides of the Hudson) over the years, it is beautiful. Many hikes are listed on Meetup.com and also the AMC (Appalachian Mountain Club) has hikes in the area, and you don't have to be a member https://www.amc-ny.org/

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,910 posts
112 reviews
3. Re: Places near NYC for thanksgiving weekend

Mohonk is fantastic. It is pricey but pretty much all-inclusive with meals.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
114 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: Places near NYC for thanksgiving weekend

Mohonk and the town, New Paltz, is fantastic.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
14,437 posts
115 reviews
5. Re: Places near NYC for thanksgiving weekend

Better make your reservations now!

California
Level Contributor
125 posts
64 reviews
6. Re: Places near NYC for thanksgiving weekend

Thank you all for the great suggestions and links. I checked the Mohonk and called them , they are fully booked . Should we stay at nearby hotels?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
981 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Places near NYC for thanksgiving weekend

Sure, if there’s something available - but I think the other hotels /motels are much lower quality unless there’s something new.

There are some new hotels that have opened a bit further north that look adorable. The area is becoming “hickster” - like the Brooklyn hipsters but in the woods. I’m going up to EastWind in early Nov https://www.eastwindny.com/. I can’t recommend it since it is my first time staying there.

California
Level Contributor
125 posts
64 reviews
8. Re: Places near NYC for thanksgiving weekend

Thanks for the suggestions . I looked up it takes 4.5 hours . It will be too late to get there since I fly in from west coast. But thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
981 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Places near NYC for thanksgiving weekend

It’s a 2.5 hour drive to Windham, NY from Manhattan but there are other hotels between New Paltz and Windham that would be a great location for outdoor adventures. I don’t know where you are driving from that tacks on an additional 2 hours.

California
Level Contributor
125 posts
64 reviews
10. Re: Places near NYC for thanksgiving weekend

Oh, good to know it is only 2.5 hours drive. I googled “windham to bus terminal nyc (my daughter will take bus from Ithaca to nyc), it came up 4.5 hours. Thanks for the good news.

Reply to: Places near NYC for thanksgiving weekend
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted