We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steam/Press Service

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
37 reviews
51 helpful votes
Steam/Press Service

Hi All,

I do try not to ask questions here if i can find them myself online, but cannot find what i am looking for. Same day service, collection and delivery + pricing.

I travel 18th November and get married on 20th. I will be travelling with my wedding dress which will need a steam before I am married, having been packed in a cabin case for many hours.

Can anyone recommend a dry cleaning company that would collect and deliver same day? I will then contact them for a price.

I would like to weigh up the options of taking my own steamer and paying extra luggage allowance dependent on the pricing of the services in NYC.

There are many companies on google but i would like to have recommendations with this being such a special item.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited: 22 October 2018, 09:07
33 replies to this topic
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
42,013 posts
42 reviews
44 helpful votes
1. Re: Steam/Press Service

Many dry cleaners would provide this service. Where are you staying? ( so nearby recommendations can be made)

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
37 reviews
51 helpful votes
2. Re: Steam/Press Service

Hi, I am staying at Maxwell Hotel on Lexington Avenue.

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
105,940 posts
13 reviews
35 helpful votes
3. Re: Steam/Press Service

I don't think any regular cleaners would do this same day. I would contact the concierge at your hotel.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
37 reviews
51 helpful votes
4. Re: Steam/Press Service

I have asked the hotel and they put me in touch with a company who offered the service, funnily enough they just sent me an email but the cost is WOW - Not far off the price that my dress cost. At this late stage i think i will probably have to purchase a steamer and pay for an extra suitcase, still expensive but cheaper than a steam/press in NYC it seems.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
105,940 posts
13 reviews
35 helpful votes
5. Re: Steam/Press Service

Why not buy a steamer here that works with our electricity? There are plenty of places to buy one and it doesn't need to cost a fortune.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
21,791 posts
6. Re: Steam/Press Service

Besides the electricity voltage problem (ours is 110 yours is 220 - so your appliances won't work properly here) you'd need a plug converter if you can get a dual voltage appliance

I'd ask the concierge if the hotel has a steamer they can loan to guests.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
37 reviews
51 helpful votes
7. Re: Steam/Press Service

Oh this could be a good idea, thanks nywhiz. Any suggestions of the best place to purchase! We a super busy the first day and will be downtown for the majority of the day.

I can get a steamer here in the UK a portable hand held for around £30.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
17,314 posts
76 reviews
27 helpful votes
8. Re: Steam/Press Service

That’s the issue with wedding gowns. They require special handling and any dry cleaner worth their name will charge in the hundreds to clean etc them. The most famous service for that is Madam Paulette, which is probably whom you were refered to.

To do a good job, you need a professional type of steamer.

When my daughters got married, their wedding dresses were prepped and packed for transport (and this was locally) in masses of tissue inside the dress to resemble a maniquin, thus keeping its shape and prevent creasing. You can then Pace this in an appropriate sized box for special handling by yoir carrier. Might be yoir easiest option.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
37 reviews
51 helpful votes
9. Re: Steam/Press Service

Thanks WEQueen. Yes you are right, the cost is in the hundreds.

I will be having my dress steamed and packed by the wedding dress shop the day before i travel. But they said it would need a light steam or to hang in the shower room (this is due to the design) - but this can't be done as my finance is in the same room so unable to hang in the shower room while showering and after a shower for half hour. So I will need a steamer! As it will have been done before we left UK it should not need a lot of work so a small hand held steamer would be fine the bridal store have said and they have shown me how to do this and i am confident doing it.

Edited: 22 October 2018, 11:20
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
25,279 posts
20 reviews
20 helpful votes
10. Re: Steam/Press Service

Bed Bath and Beyond has steamers, pretty inexpensive

Reply to: Steam/Press Service
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted