We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queen suites at the Lucerne

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Queen suites at the Lucerne

Hi all,

I have a booking for a suite at the Lucerne (UWS) in August.

There will be 3 of us 2 adults and a 15 year old.

We booked a queen queen suite at the lucerne - but have since found out that these suites are actually only 250 sq. ft. in total - that's the bedroom and the sitting room with / galley.

Having stayed in many hotel rooms/ suites this seems really small for 3 people who like their space .Any thoughts on this ? has anyone here stayed in one of these suites and could tell us

what it's actually like. I love the neighborhood and was really looking forward to the hotel but if the rooms are that small - we stayed at the Blakely before and it's suite was 525 sq. ft. - not huge but very comfortable - can't imagine less than half of that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lainey

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queen suites at the Lucerne

The Lucerne's own web page says the 2-queens suite is about 280 sq. feet, but even that seems too low for the amount of space that a friend of mine & I had there. I'm wondering if the Lucerne, unlike virtually any other hotel, excludes the bathroom from its sq. footage figures.

If you click onto the photo inset on this page, you'll see a pic that accurately represents the bedroom she & I had. We didn't feel hemmed in by the bedroom (that's something that matters to me) and there's sufficient closet/drawer space, although our parlor area was pretty tight... doesn't offer seating for 3 people, unless 1 of you sits on the desk chair.

thelucernenewyork.com/accommodations-qs.asp

Hopefully, my response will bump your post up so that other people who've stayed in such a suite with will chime in.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queen suites at the Lucerne

Thanks for the info - I'm glad I 've talked with someone who has stayed there. I actually phoned the hotel and spoke with a rep who said that the 2 queen bed suites are now only 250 sq. ft. ( maybe they weren't including the bathroom - making up the other 32 Sq. ft)

My friends stayed at the San carlos at 50th and Lex and loved it - any thoughts on that as an alternative. We are doing shows on and off broadway but not the other touristy things - we know the subway routes quite well and so have no issues taking the # 1 from the Lucerne or the E from the san carlos. I guess the Blakely is also another option - I just find it a little noisy and the elevators are really small and slow - but the hotel is amazing.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be welcomed - we're celebrating 3 birthdays while there and want it to be special.

thanks

Lainey

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queen suites at the Lucerne

I really liked the staff & our suite at the San Carlos [quiet, comfortable, sparkling clean, nice pantry area], but its rates are almost always higher than the other suite-style hotels. Also, you had to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom... which I think is less than ideal for a family. But because it is an older property, room configurations vary; some of the 1-bedrooms even have 1.5 baths with the powder room off the entry hall. So if you book there, ask for that arrangement.

Have you checked availability & prices for the Beacon? That's just a few blocks away from the Lucerne, so still puts you on the Upper West Side. It's been freshly renovated and although the bathrooms are small, the bedrooms of its suites are larger than usually comes with a 1-bedroom suite here; the kitchen is quite well-equipped. And prices there will be lower than the San Carlos. Suggest you book with the hotel directly; at present, there's no price advantage to booking via Expedia, etc. & a direct reservation requires no advance payment/deposit.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queen suites at the Lucerne

The space is a bit tight but also in a wonderful part of the city. I don't usually spend too much time in the hotel when in Manhattan so a little morning bumping into each other and nightime bathroom sharing works for me on short stays.

Staff are great at this hotel and service is very good. And you can't beat the location or neighborhood!

Have a wonderful visit.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queen suites at the Lucerne

Hi,

thanks for all the great info.

I've talked with the reservations manager at the san carlos and he will give us a 2 queen one bedroom suite for only $10.00 per night than we were paying at the Lucerne - to me this sounds like a great deal. The Beacon didn't have any suites available for our dates - although it looked nice - thanks for the tip

In your opinion(s) would the san carlos be a better place than the lucerne for the three of us - I know the suites are much larger - 600 sq. feet. Location wise 50th and Lex I think should be quite good - how noisy would it be. Any other tips on the san carlos as in where in the hotel is best? I'm waiting for the res. manager to email me back as to how to do the reservation - but haven't given up on the lucerne yet.

thanks again

Lainey

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queen suites at the Lucerne

Think it's a toss-up that only you can decide: the Upper West Side, a more "neighborly", residential area vs. the greater space & comfort of a suite at the San Carlos.

Since you already are familiar with the advantages of the Upper West Side, let me fill you in on the San Carlos. Suites are airy, and the windows are covered by both semi-sheer draperies to the marble sills and "blackout" Roman shades. There are separate climate controls in both the bedroom and the living room & the variety of excellent lighting fixtures is laudable. The decor is, as you've doubtlessly already seen, more contemporary, "cleaner" in styling than the Lucerne, for whatever that's worth to you; upholstered furniture [sleep sofa + armchairs] is very comfortable.

There is an under-the-counter refrigerator with freezer compartment (in addition to the "honor bar" mini-fridge), a microwave, and small sink in the pantry area whose cupboards and drawers hold glassware, dishware & flatware. Two closets and there were a number of deep drawers so ample storage space for clothes & luggage. There were no drawers or cupboards in the bathroom, but the counter is wide and runs the length of the room, so we stashed toiletries on either side of the sink.

Well-equipped, sunny fitness room; business center on the mezzanine with 4 PC's which have high speed internet service and a laser printer for guest use free of charge; also WiFi throughout the hotel.

I can't remember our SC suite number, but it was a corner suite in the back, on the east side of the building. So no view to speak of, but quiet [the windows are insulated].

Hope this helps!

7. Re: Queen suites at the Lucerne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2010, 01:18