We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for first afternoon

Scotland
Level Contributor
48 posts
Ideas for first afternoon

Hi, we are arriving at Newark at midday on October 6th. We plan to take the airtrain/ train to New York Penn station, and then walk the couple of minutes to our hotel - The Hampton Inn Madison Square Gardens at 116 West 31st Street.

So, I am thinking that, all being well, we will be checked in and settled by 3.30. ( Which may have involved leaving bags, going for a coffee and going back to check in at 3.00).

We have a nywaterways twilight cruise booked for 7.30, and as we will have to pick up tickets, I was thinking we would need to leave for that at about 6.00.

We are going to go after the cruise for our look at Times Square.

So - at last - my question is, if this time scale all works out, what would you recommend we do between 3.30 and 6.00ish? Something that makes us feel we are in New York, but isn't too far away.

I have our schedule loosely planned for our other days, but I'm not sure what to slot in here. Not shopping though!!

Many thanks

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,493 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Ideas for first afternoon

Have a wander down to visit the Highline and the Chelsea Market between 20th and 10th around Madison Ave - Either walk, or pick up your MetroCard and take the A C or E to 14th Street and look at the Tom Otterness sculptures in the station before exiting. You can take the M20 back uptown to your hotel.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,931 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Ideas for first afternoon

First, there's no reason to go for coffee and come back just to get into a room unless you need to change clothes. Start your visit when you arrive and get the bags into the room when it's convenient for you, not the hotel.;) I like ztaks idea of the Highline and/or Chelsea Market which is a good place for coffee and perhaps a brownie or other nice treat from Fatwitch. Your other option is to go to the Empire State building or Macy's, both of which are not far from your hotel.

Scotland
Level Contributor
48 posts
3. Re: Ideas for first afternoon

Just watched Time Magazine's report about the High Line on Youtube, and it looks perfect. A wee stroll after being on a plane /train for hours would be great, and the places to sit and people and city watch should really give us a feeling of being in Manhattan. Thank you for the idea ztaks.

Brownies at Chelsea market can only enhance the afternoon too. Thanks nywhiz.

I had thought about the ESB, but decided it was probably better to start a day with a visit there, so we are not thinking about the time if there are huge queues.

Now we just need no delays on the flight so that we get to do it!

Thank you.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,043 posts
4. Re: Ideas for first afternoon

Remember after your trans-atlantic flight you will have been awake for 18 hours or more - take that into consideration.

Scotland
Level Contributor
48 posts
5. Re: Ideas for first afternoon

Good point Poppa, but I think we will probably be too excited to want to rest when we first arrive. We'll just see how we feel on the day though, as we want to be able to enjoy the cruise.

Thanks again all.

London, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Ideas for first afternoon

We did Top of the Rock first thing when we arrived and that worked really well. (was very close to our hotel, so a bit more of a trip for you though). It was about 4.30 for us, but we walked right in, no queue and then were up there with a fantastic view of the city. Great way to start a trip I think - especially if it is first time visit since it gives you the lay of the land before you start exploring. Highline is a nice walk though and gives you a chance to see some interesting areas, so would recommed fitting it in somewhere even if you don't do it first thing.

Edited: 06 September 2010, 09:23
Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Ideas for first afternoon

Glad to hear top of the rock worked out good for your first day, I plan on doing this for the first evening, as we are travelling from the UK and our bodyclocks will be 5 hours+ New york time! I plan to do TOTR about 7pm then get something to eat and an early night so as to feel wide awake for the next 5 days we are in NYC. We have 2 boys, aged 14 and 12, and I dare say they will be tired by 10pm NY time as it will be 3am in UK time!

London, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Ideas for first afternoon

By 7pm I was ready for bed :) Think I managed to make it till about 9.30 though...

9. Re: Ideas for first afternoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2011, 01:47