We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Statue of Liberty times

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
418 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Statue of Liberty times

Thanks for all the replies to my last question they were very helpful. Im just abit confused about what people keep saying about booking an early time.I have been on the statuecruise website and there are lots of times available for the day we want to come,but is this the time you are at the statue or is it the ferry time.If I book for 9 am do we just get to the battery park for that time? and can you come back at any time? thanks.

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,239 Reviews
from US$89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
550 Reviews
from US$34.00*
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Statue of Liberty times

We visited the statue yesterday. We had booked and printed "Reserve" tickets online from the statecruises.com site. Our tickets were for 8:00am. The reserve tickets allow you to go directly to the security checkpoint. We arrived at the security checkpoint at Battery Park at 7:45am, and there were maybe 50 to 100 people in line before us. They started sending people through the security check at 8:00, and the first ferry departed for Liberty Island at 8:30. We had a very pleasant, leisurely visit on the island (we did not have monument or crown tickets, so just strolled around the island). We got back on the ferry at 10:15 and took it to Ellis Island. We just got off for a half hour in order to have a very quick look around inside. We were back on the ferry bound for Manhattan at 11:00.

When we arrived back at the departure point, the lineups for the ferry were incredibly long !!!!!!!

For us, it worked out perfectly. We needed to be back by 11:30 in order to pack up and get to the airport, so we could not afford to wait in endless lines. I highly recommend going as early as you can. We were able to see what we wanted to, at our own pace, without fighting crowds, and we loved it. Later in the day, I'm not so sure.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
418 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Statue of Liberty times

Hi not sure if Im being really stupid but I thought the SOL and ellis island were the same place,does your ticket get you to both and can you go on any ferry?I was going to get a ticket that covered the museum aswell.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Statue of Liberty times

same ticket but two different Islands thus if you go to the statue first in order to get to Ellis Island you need to get on another ferry and then to return to Battery Park you get on yet another . So you will be on a total of 3 boats. if you are talking about the Ellis Island Museum it is covered in the basic ticket.. I suggest you review the website.

www.statuecruises.com

Edited: 05 September 2010, 09:58
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Statue of Liberty times

I noticed I mis-typed the website name in my reponse. We booked our tix at the site that Bilmin references above. FYI, here is the ferry schedule from that site which may be helpful to you.

statuecruises.com/ferry-service/schedule-opt…

Enjoy your visit.

Edmonton, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Statue of Liberty times

moose905, were you able to catch the ferry at 8:30am even though all those people were ahead of you?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Statue of Liberty times

Yes, we made the 8:30 ferry no problem.

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Statue of Liberty times

Goodness, I'm so confused by this. We have booked tickets with statue cruises for Oct 25th at 11am, and for crown access. I thought this would mean no huge queues for us, just turn up, collect the crown tickets and on the ferry. I guess this isn't the case? What time shall we get to the ferry to be in good time? Was gonna arrive about 10.30am.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,206 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Statue of Liberty times

Ellis Island and SOL are on two different Islands. The ferry boat makes a continuous loop --- Battery Park, Liberty Island (SOL), Ellis Island.

Your ticket gets you on the ferry. You need separate tickets for pedistal access (base of SOL) and Crown access.

Yes, the security lines get long. There are two separate lines .... one for people with reserved tickets and one for people with non-reserved tickets.

When I went, on a weekday in April 2009 --- I wanted reserved 8am tix but they were all sold out, so I bought "flex tickets" which can be used any time over a 3-day period (specified by me). I wanted to get to Battery Park early, but everybody was sleepy and we got there about 9:15. Both lines seemed long. We got in the non-reserved line at the same time a group of uniformed school kids got in the reserved line. Eventually both lines end up at the airport-like security checkpoints and we ended up on the SAME ferry as the kids. It took about 35 minutes for us to get through security that day.

My advice, if you are strapped for time, see the SOL like the immigrants did ... from teh boat. Don't get off there, just head straight to Ellis Island. There's lots to see there, too.

Edited: 06 September 2010, 08:11
London, England
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Statue of Liberty times

Benjoe, we had crown tickets booked for 11am a couple of weeks ago (on a Tuesday morning) and I was also a bit confused about whether that was for the boat ride, the crown or what. Decided to play it safe and turn up at the ferry about 9.15. That worked very well - no one at Battery Park seemed to note the time on our tickets so we got straight on a ferry - no queue, just a quick whiz through security, onto a boat and over to Liberty Island. There it became clear that the 11am was the time we were to go up the crown, since they would not let us up before then. But we looked round the island, had snacks etc and then after going up the crown saw the museum and it all worked fine. So I would suggest getting to Battery Park earlier than 10.30 so that you don't waste time queueing when you could already be looking round the island before you go up the crown if you have extra time. Hope that helps.

BTW we felt like VIPs with our crown tickets - everyone on the island seemed to want to know how you got to go inside and were disappointed to find it wasn't something you could just turn up and do - and we were the lucky ones!

Edited: 06 September 2010, 09:13
Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
426 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Statue of Liberty times

'BTW we felt like VIPs with our crown tickets - everyone on the island seemed to want to know how you got to go inside and were disappointed to find it wasn't something you could just turn up and do - and we were the lucky ones!'

But they didn't bother trying to find out in advance!

Hope it was a great experience :)