We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-guided Walking tour & map

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
638 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Self-guided Walking tour & map

Are there any website with such a thing that can be downloaded & printed? I have ordered some from Amazon but I am afraid they won't get here before I leave. Looking for history/architure in Midtown Manhattan/Murray Hill/Theatre district.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self-guided Walking tour & map

Have a look at

nyc.com/visitor_guide/…editorial_review.aspx.

You can also get information about other neighborhoods.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,218 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self-guided Walking tour & map

the search is so popular, all I had to do was start to type "NYC self guided" in google - and a list of walking tours appeared.

Serious Eats has good ones for foodie districts.

suitcaseready.com

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
638 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self-guided Walking tour & map

Yes but they are all guided and not free!

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self-guided Walking tour & map

I would get the book Inside the Apple for self guided history stuff. Unfortunately, I can't point you to a direct post thanks to TA but if you look around here for a post about Maps you will find a reference. Personally, I use it as a reference when I am doing tours for others.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
638 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self-guided Walking tour & map

Thank you! I did order some guide books, but what I am looking for is an online link to something along the lines of..."as you walk south on 5th Ave you will see St Patricks Cathedral famous for..." with a map so that you can take a 1.5-2 mile walk with landmarks noted that you can start and end at any point. I lke to do that when I travel so I am not tied down to a specific time for a guided tour. But I find just wandering aimlessly I miss many things of interest.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self-guided Walking tour & map

nyc.com/visitor_guide/…content

I assume you did not look. This gives you Street view, Virtual Walks and some information about the neighborhood. It is true that the previous link did not work.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self-guided Walking tour & map

Hola.

A "Blue Guide" has been written for most large cities and each provides multiple, detailed walking tours that appeal to a variety of interests (and "strengths"). Years ago (we've lived in NYC for 40) we began using the "Blue Guide" when visiting large cities, and we even purchased one for NYC as we love to do walking tours; it has great maps and even diagrams of the insides of often-visited museums and buildings. We believe that this Guide has the detailed descriptions for which you are looking.

For more information, see:

amazon.com/Blue-Guide-York-Fourth-Guides/dp/…

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,092 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self-guided Walking tour & map

I've used City Walking Tours cards for NYC. They have 50 different cards for all the areas of NYC...map on one side, info on the other. You can get them from Amazon.com or in book stores.

Edited: 05 July 2011, 15:10
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,218 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self-guided Walking tour & map

did you order the box of walking tours on cards for NYC? that was the first thing I thought of when you said you were waiting for something to arrive from Amazon

amazon.com/City-Walks-York-Adventures-Foot/…

or this one - the first entry on google

http://www.tailoredtours.com/

or this one

nyharborparks.org/visit/tour-new-amsterdam.h…

I've also found Rick Steves walks for Paris for free on itunes. I bet there are other tours there.

suitcaseready.com

edited - Rassi beat me to it!

Edited: 05 July 2011, 15:13
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
638 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self-guided Walking tour & map

LOL You are all so quick!! I wish I had read before I ordered. I have two guidebooks coming, NY Walks by Egginton and the Cityguide cards. I wish I had looked for the Blue Guide. Oh well, maybe next time.

The exciting thing is that I will be there during restaurant week, so I may just walk from meal to meal!!

Also, really enjoyed the Blog, NYC Now and Then, and saved it to my favorites.