We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free street parking in Manhattan

New Haven...
4 posts
Save Topic
Free street parking in Manhattan

Is there free alternate-side street parking throughout Manhattan?

I plan to be in Soho from Thursday (8/25) night to Sunday morning and am wondering if I can get away without paying for parking.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,259 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Free street parking in Manhattan

In many residential neighborhoods, yes; but as I'm sure you can imagine, competition for spots is fierce, you may have to move your car several times while you're here, and finding a spot can take hours. It's not how I would spend my vacation.

You can always see what you find when you arrive, and if you don't get lucky, you can use www.bestparking.com to find the best rates for garages.

Edited: 25 August 2011, 11:58
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free street parking in Manhattan

The weekends might be easier, because sometimes there is no alternate-side-of-the-street parking then. Esp. Sunday. But be sure to read the signs on the street carefully to be sure, it varies street by street, time by time. Soho may be harder at night because of some nightlife in the area.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free street parking in Manhattan

Also note that any parking infraction whatsoever (including your very first, and for even such things as parking with an expired inspection sticker) may result in your car being towed. If your car is towed, you must pay all outstanding summonses, plus the tow fee -- and the tow fee alone is $185.

Playing parking roulette in Manhattan is dangerous for anyone who is not intimately familiar with all the rules of the game...

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free street parking in Manhattan

It can be done, but I think you might consider not trying. If you do;

READ the signs carefully, from top to bottom, assume the most restrictive applys to you.

One parking ticket will eat up all your savings.

remember, when driving in New York City, NO TURN ON RED at ALL intersections. (well... it is allowed if there is a sign allowing it, the opposite of most places).

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free street parking in Manhattan

come to Brooklyn a fifteen minute subway ride away from your location --- I only have to move my car once a week and with some ease always find a space--

Most people who comment here on how tough it is probably don't even drive and park in the city. You have to be somewhat creative but it can be done,

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free street parking in Manhattan

I cannot emphasize any stronger the words of Al. READ ALL THE SIGNS, AND THEN READ THEM AGAIN. Read not only the sign nearest to your vehicle, but also signs on either side of that sign, as they are sometimes contradictory. Note the days AND the hours of the parking restrictions. Of course, if you slip up, you may get a free trip to the West Side Tow Lot. I've been there several times and it is an expensive and unpleasant ordeal.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free street parking in Manhattan

Just an FYI, I did have a car for years when I lived on the upper east side,and averaged one $55 ticket per month back when that was the going rate, much cheaper than using a lot. My point being that you must take care to both read the signs and move your car in time. It can be done, and you will save $$$. But if you screw up even once, your savings are gone.

Just take care and you'll be fine. IMHO, however, the "cost" of time spent looking for a space, moving the car would not be worth it for me, if it is for you go for it - when I was younger and had a lower salary I would have done it too. Now I'm just too old (read lazy) to do it.

conn
Level Contributor
2,886 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free street parking in Manhattan

and rember a temp paper no parking sign out ranks all the permit signs on a block

New Haven...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Free street parking in Manhattan

Appreciated all the info. Had to leave NYC early due to Irene.

10. Re: Free street parking in Manhattan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 08:17