We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New york in april or august.

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
New york in april or august.

We are looking at coming in april maybe, or august, not exactly sure when would be best, depends on flight prices I guess.But Ive looked up the usual weather and for those that have been or even live there, which is better.If we go in april we we need coats and jumpers etc.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New york in april or august.

"If we go in april we we need coats and jumpers etc."

Maybe, maybe not.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New york in april or august.

August in the city can be oppressive heat----- we love April because we are just coming out of the winter when it is brutally cold SOMETIMES of the two I would take my chances on April and yes bring a jacket.

New York, New York
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
5,005 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New york in april or august.

I vote for April, because the hotels will be better priced and a good hotel can make your stay no matter what time of the year. You would be able to get a 4* Suite in Times Square for @220usd a night in April, but in August this same room will be almost twice that amount-

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93352-R…

Flight prices are better in April too You could do MME to JFK airport on KLM airline for the best prices I am seeing right now in april (Much more in August) there is also NCL (Newcastle) to EWR (NEWARK) for a little better price, but that may not be worth it on your end (to get to Newcastle).

I would do a multisearch on Kayak before buying airline tickets (but then purchase directly from the airline's web site to avoid third party complications).

The trip advisor hotel search is nice because you get the reviews at the sametime, but you can compare it to a Kayak search as well. This will give you an idea of the price varations.

Happy planning!

Edited: 14 October 2011, 09:58
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New york in april or august.

We were there in mid-April this past Spring. Temperature was perfect! Mid to lower 60's, which was great for walking around. We all wore long sleeved shirts and had light jackets with hoods for the morning and evening. It did sprinkle one day so those hoods came in handy.

New York
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New york in april or august.

without a doubt - April. Temperatures are more pleasant, you will find rooms easier and at more reasonable prices.

August is very hot, can be very humid, prime time for tourists, not only from the States but also from Europe.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
781 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New york in april or august.

I'm thinking that hotel prices in New York City might be lower in August than in April.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4881140…

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New york in april or august.

April. No question. August can be brutally hot and humid. Miserable.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
796 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New york in april or august.

Do you have children? I would prefer April, but my children would choose August. If it's hot and humid we do a nice air conditioned museum for the grownups then they get something from a food truck and we sit in the shade while they play at Heckscher playground in Central Park. Although April can have mild weather, they don't enjoy the park as much if things are damp and chilly or they've been rained on - which I don't get because what they do at Heckscher is get wet.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New york in april or august.

I happen to agree with Ruthie1971 and say August for all the reasons she said plus you can also visit Coney Island in Brooklyn. In Coney Island you can enjoy the beach, walk the boardwalk and even go to the NYC Aquarium. Also as Ruthie said you can have chilly, rainy weather in April which is not fun.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New york in april or august.

MMMM lots in favour of april there, price of hotel is defo a huge consideration, dont want to pay over the odds for a room.