We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation options- 3 adults & 1 baby in April/May 2012

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
259 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation options- 3 adults & 1 baby in April/May 2012

Hi there,

My husband will be attending a conference at the Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers from May 3-6 2012. My baby son (who will be 10 months old) and I are hoping to join him.

If we do decide to go with him, we will stay in New York from Saturday 28 April to Sunday 6 May (8 nights), so my husband can have some time to enjoy the delights of NYC. My sister will also come across from London to join us, which will be lovely as we rarely see her, and it will also be very helpful for me as an extra pair of hands will be very useful in NYC! This will be my husband and my sister’s second visit to NYC, while I have been very fortunate to have visited a number of times.

I do not want to stay at the Sheraton. The reviews are generally pretty negative, but more importantly, my husband and I will need a room with a refrigerator and microwave, and preferably a separate bedroom (or 2 bedrooms if my sister is in the same room). I do not have any particular preference for location, but for my husband’s sake, I think it would be important to be close to the E or B/D subway line so it is easy for him to get to the conference.

So… I would like some advice on accommodation choices. I imagine the apartment type hotels would be best for us, however I am not sure what the best options in terms of room configuration would be, and which of the apartment style hotels would best meet our needs.

I think the options are:

-2 bedroom suite

-1 bedroom suite + separate room for my sister

-1 bedroom suite + room for my sister at a close by hotel

I am waiting to get some information about the cost of 2 bedroom suites (these do not seem to come up as an option when entering reservation information), so I do not know how expensive these would be compared with a 1 bedroom suite plus 1 separate room.

In terms of budget, I guess we would prefer to spend up to $350 (plus tax) per night for a 1 bedroom apartment, and my sister would prefer to spend up to $250 (plus tax) per night (but less for her if possible), however I am willing to pay more if required

The TA advice is usually to book a cancellable room now, and check for better deals at a later time. As May seems to be a popular time, when and where should I be looking out for these deals, and what is the likelihood of significant savings (vs getting a better deal now with a non cancellable room)?

I would be very grateful for advice or comments, and hope I have provided enough information for this.

Thanks,

Cassie

sydney
Level Contributor
310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation options- 3 adults & 1 baby in April/May 2012

We recently stayed at the Doubletree Guest Suites - it has a bedroom and a seperate living area with a comfortable sofa bed - there is a small kitchenette with microwave and refrigerator.

Not sure of cost for your dates - but I think it would suit.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,680 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation options- 3 adults & 1 baby in April/May 2012

The Beacon hotel on the Upper West Side is highly recommended for families. Full kitchens and they have two bedroom suites. They have two bedroom suites, but you do have to call for them.Great location for parks, subway and some good grocery shopping. Quieter than Times Square, Doubletree, which is a bit crazy for a week with a little one.

THe Affinia Chain also has two bedroom suites in all of it's suite hotels.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
259 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation options- 3 adults & 1 baby in April/May 2012

Thanks bogwoppit.

I would prefer to stay away from Times Square if possible! I had emailed the Beacon re some information on their 2 bedroom suites, and am waiting for a reply. It did sound like a good option, and is on my "short list".

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
728 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation options- 3 adults & 1 baby in April/May 2012

I would recommend the one bedroom suites at the Affinia Dumont, Affinia 50, Blakely and Milburn. All have large bedrooms, separate living room and kitchenettes. There are other Affinia hotels as well that I have not stayed at. The two Affinias are in the Murray Hill section of mid-town, a more residential (i.e. quiet at night) neighborhood but within a quick walk of subway, restaurants, etc. Milburn is on the upper west side, also a great location. Not sure if these hotels have 2-BR units, but we have stayed with two adults and two teens in all of them in the 1-BR units and had tons of space.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
259 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation options- 3 adults & 1 baby in April/May 2012

Hi MML1,

I had not heard of the Milburn. It also looks like a good option. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Cassie

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation options- 3 adults & 1 baby in April/May 2012

Blakelyhotelny.com

is within walking distance of the Sheraton and a very nice smaller hotel with some 1 bedroom suites with kitchenettes and also regular rooms with kitchenettes for your sister. They also include a continental breakfast in room prices. Prices are just a bit above your budget for sister's room (~$280) and close to budget ($342.50/night plus tax) for a 1 bedroom suite and cancelable up to a day before. I think location wise and price wise this will be your best bet if you get 2 separate rooms. It's a short walk to Central Park from there and it's one of the best locations in midtown imo. I would try negotiating the prices down a bit by phoning, since you'd be getting 2 rooms.

nycsalisbury.com

would be a bit cheaper but it's not nearly as fresh (rooms are clean but very dated) and it's not as close to the Sheraton (although closer to Central Park). They do have some 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suites and you might want to get prices.

If sister wants something cheaper near the Blakely, I think prices could come down a bit between now and then but right now, I honestly don't see anything as nice for $280 or less in midtown. The Empire is $250/night on oyster.com and is a trendier place near Columbus Circle.

I think a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suite at the Beacon will be your best bet if you stay together unless the price for 2/2 at the Salisbury is very appealing. If you were to get 2 suites at the Beacon, I noticed they didn't seem to have studios available for that time on their own website. The Lucerne is a nearby hotel with guest rooms and 1 bedroom suites although imo not as nice.

While there are plenty of other suite hotels within a longer walk or a subway ride of the Sheraton (any of the Affinia hotels, the Kimblery, the San Carlos, Best Western Hospitality, Salisbury, Alex) they'll either be more money, not as convenient, not as nice or some combination. I wouldn't expect any/many sales for that period of time, esp. in a suite hotel. You can sign up for emails from the Affinia group and should check prices for their hotels on websites like quikbook.com hotels.com and booking.com which sometimes have cheaper prices than the Affinia site.

I'll also mention

www.apartments2book.com

is a London agency that has contracts with many of the suite hotels. They sometimes have better prices than you could get on your own, but they do require prepayment and it becomes non cancelable. I did a cheat sheet years ago of their map as follows:

1=Affinia 50

2=Affinia Manhattan

3 San Carlos

4-Best Western Hospitality

5=the Blakely

6=the Belvedere

7=Radio City apts.

8=Eastgate Tower

9=Murray Hill East Suites

10=Milburn

11=Beacon

12=Lucerne

15+Trump International

16=Benjamin

18= 46th b/w 2nd & 3rd

19=the Larchmont (not suites)

20=Riverside Towers (terrible)

27=the Manhattan Club

29=Elysee

30=the Buckingham

34=Bedford

37= Affinia Dumont

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
728 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation options- 3 adults & 1 baby in April/May 2012

We are actually staying there for our third time this weekend. I find it usually to be a few dollars cheaper than the others.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation options- 3 adults & 1 baby in April/May 2012

MML1, I hope you have good luck there. I'm not a scaremonger but want to point out the last review of the Milburn reports bed bug bites. Do a good search of your room before settling in.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d121987-…

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
728 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation options- 3 adults & 1 baby in April/May 2012

NYWhiz - thanks for the advice, although I've never been one to take the bed bug scare too seriously. I assume they could occur at any time in any hotel. I will be sure to check!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation options- 3 adults & 1 baby in April/May 2012

People don't take it seriously til it hits home. I don't believe in being crazy about it, but caution is a good thing. Forewarned is forearmed.

bedbugregistry.com/hotel/…Milburn-Hotel