We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanks to everyone & a few words on the Setai

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Thanks to everyone & a few words on the Setai

I'm going to write a review of the Setai when I get a chance...just wanted to note a few things to the fine folks on the TA forum in NY who recommended it for me

-Got the Setai Fifth Avenue on LastMinuteTravel.com for $286 per night (they were advertising $695 on Setai's website)

-Standard room was HUGE by NY standards and the bed was comfortable with great Pratesi linens (I think the same ones I have at home, possibly?)

-Nespresso machine was nice touch

-Bathroom had separate spa tub and shower with a tv at the end of the tub, modern vanity and mood lighting.

-Free Minibar is deceiving-there are no snacks, just some bottled water, soda, etc.

-Rates include breakfast and I wasn't aware of that, so it was very nice.

-Requested a room with sun, but buildings are so close that my room was still pretty dark and gloomy (unlike the Muse where I usually stay)

-Service wasn't that great. I mean it was good, but not great. I called the floor butler once and she started yelling at me on the phone (I think she was on the phone with someone else before me and just answered screaming at someone mid-sentence). That's something that would never happen at, say, the Connaught (which is how I though the Setai would be

-Needed to go to a meeting and they pulled a Maserati up to take me (for free!) very nice. I didn't know much about the car but people on the street were turning and pointing as we drove by (which is weird to me and I didn't particularly like, but still, it was a nice ride...)

I think this about covers my general sentiments, and thanks so much everyone (RobertWCook, NYWhiz, SueFee) for helping me with this one a few months back!

Best,

Arlingtonman13

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,369 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanks to everyone & a few words on the Setai

Would you go back?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanks to everyone & a few words on the Setai

In a heartbeat, but I wouldn't pay muchmore for it than the Muse, that's just my opinion. If the muse were $229 and the Setai could be had for $286, I would pay the difference out of pocket (we do per diem and I have to cover whatever is over out of pocket) for the Setai, but I wouldn't pay $500/night for it....

Also wanted to mention that I had a massage...not really my thing, but the masseuse was very good and it was pretty good.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,945 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanks to everyone & a few words on the Setai

A Maserati for transportation, for free? How did that come about? Do they offer free transportation to all their guests or?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanks to everyone & a few words on the Setai

"Complimentary house car (Maserati Quattroporte), available on a first-come, first-served basis to any Manhattan destination."

Here's an article on it with a picture of the car:

…usatoday.com/hotels/…1

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,945 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanks to everyone & a few words on the Setai

Oh, very pretty indeed.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,369 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanks to everyone & a few words on the Setai

I was in the hotel recently when I had lunch at Ai Fiori. There's a lot of dark stone in there which I found pretty stark and not very inviting. It sort of feels like it's an unfinished space to me. Thanks for reporting back. Who is RobertWCook? Inquiring minds. ;)

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanks to everyone & a few words on the Setai

Wow on the Maserati!

But honestly, sports cars feel really unpleasant in Manhattan. You're too low and you can feel every bump in stop-n-go street traffic. A car like that must be on the open road to really enjoy it! But, as far as status goes - it rocks!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,369 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanks to everyone & a few words on the Setai

QB, that one is a 4door sedan so not so low to the ground.;)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,945 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanks to everyone & a few words on the Setai

I have been in Maseratis and they are built in a way that I never felt the bumps - not like I did in my old Karmann Ghia (still miss that car..sniff) or other much (much) cheaper cars - cars like this make driving through a city like Manhattan a blast - with the right driver.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thanks to everyone & a few words on the Setai

Oh No - Not a car debate!!! This is what I feared!

RobertWCook is a great guy who helped me decode some NYC Last Minute Travel hotels (which is where I found the great rate I got)!

Best-

Arlingtonman13