We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few Questions...........

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Few Questions...........

Hi, I'm visiting with my wife in May for the 1st time on honeymoon and have a few questions:

1. Where is the best area for cool bars for mid 20yrs couple to stroll in the daytime with nice cafes and NY character?

2. Where are the best jazz bars?

3. Anyone recommend a cool cigar bar?

4. Stopping at Empire Hotel, is this a good location?

5. What's the average cost of a cocktail and a beer for a mid market bar and restaurant?

Many Thanks in anticipation

New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few Questions...........

You guys must be pretty cool to choose NYC for your honeymoon!

There are many cool areas for bars and restaurants, but for 20-somethings, you're going to want to hit the Lower East Side first. The East and West Villages and Soho are also good options, and you should get to them too, but the Lower East Side is probably the hippest area these days... Plus the hood has lots of character and history (and a great museum - check out the Tenement Museum).

The Empire Hotel is right by Lincoln Center, which is a great place to see a show, but kind of lacking in terms of cool and affordable things to do. Still, it's just a few blocks away from Central Park, which is obviously something you don't want to miss!

Average cost for a cocktail is probably in the low to mid teens. Same for wine. I'm not a beer drinker, so I'll let someone else answer that one...

One other tip: if you're going to see a show on Broadway (I hope you are!), head over to Ninth Avenue for dinner. Don't get stuck in one of the overpriced, mediocre tourist traps in Times Square!

Congrats!

Edited: 08 March 2012, 16:57
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,999 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few Questions...........

"head over to Ninth Avenue for dinner. Don't get stuck in one of the overpriced, mediocre tourist traps in Times Square!"

Amen!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few Questions...........

There are lots of drinks happy hours and specials on and these are usually advertised outside,

If you have a look at menu pages.com you can check out some menus prices ect.

good luck

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few Questions...........

I forgot to say loads jazz in New York lol

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Few Questions...........

Anothony --

1) There's no "one" area that fits what you want. The Village has some great bars. But you can also find fun bars in many other parts of the city - midtown, the Upper West Side, parts of Brooklyn, etc.

2) For Jazz, definitely hang around the Village. Plenty of options down there. But again, there are also options elsewhere. For example, Lincoln Center has a jazz club.

3) Smoking in bars and restaurants is illegal in NYC. With that being said, there are a small number of places where it is still permitted. For example, Davidoff, a store in the Columbus Circle mall, has a nice back room which you can use if you buy a cigar in the store. I have seen people with drinks in that room, although I think you need to bring your own. Davidoff does have a great selection in their walk-in humidor.

4) I tried getting into the Empire Hotel once. The line was an hour long, the bouncers had an attitude, and it was clear that you had to have a certain "look" to get in. After waiting for 15 minutes, I basically decided that it wasn't worth it and left.

5) My personal opinion is that the price of the cocktail rarely correlates to its quality. I've had amazing mixed drinks for $10. And I've had fancy-sounding drinks from fancy places for $25 that were little more than extra-sweet fruit punch with cheap vodka added.

By the way, remember that tip (and frequently tax) is not included in the list price of the cocktail.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Few Questions...........

Thanks for all your help guys! Much appreciated!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Few Questions...........

You will see bars advertising outside draft buds ect $4.50 and happy hours cocktails $5, $6, $7 for specific ones I agree with above it all depends where- ie fancy bar, dive bar , resturant.

But there are lots of different budgets for all.

Some Jazz fans will be able to reco specific places for you to try.

Diners are great for breakfast very reasonable

Cardiff
Level Contributor
265 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Few Questions...........

I read about a bar in Soho, Circa Tabac, in my guidebook where you can still smoke. It's on Watts Street.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Few Questions...........

1. Where is the best area for cool bars for mid 20yrs couple to stroll in the daytime with nice cafes and NY character?

I just wrote the following for a previous similar query:

BLEECKER STREET

Bleecker Street in Greenwich Village. Very easy, very fun, will proabably fit what you're looking for. (Don't forget the "c" in Bleecker!) It runs nearly the width of the island through the mostly-gay West Village, through NYU campus, at MacDougal it's tourist central, then a little bit of Nolita, and it ends at The Bowery in the East Village.

The Duplex and Marie's Crisis are fun sing-along piano bars in the West Village. Mostly gay but anyone who likes singing welcome. Very fun, all voices welcome to belt out a power ballad! Warning: Marie's Crisis looks and feels like a basement rec room.

Bars: The Red Lion, Kenny's Castaway, The Bitter End, The Back Fence, Le Poisson Rouge, and The Peculier Pub (used to be famous for serving largest collection of bottled beers), just to name a few. Branching off from Bleecker Street, you can also find bars on MacDougal, Sullivan, Lafayette and Bowery.

Just north of Bleecker Street, W. 3rd Street runs parallel and also has a lot of good party bars: like Zinc Bar. South is Houston, which has Madam X, a nice cocktail lounge with "bordello" decor.

Good previous threads about Bleecker Street bars and GV in general:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2323996… Bleecker_Street_For_Restaurant_and_Pubs-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2384897… Red_Lion_Pub_Bleecker_Street-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2320337… Anybody_live_in_Greenwich_Village-New_York_City_New_York.html

LOWER EAST SIDE

Another fairly easy bar-hopping area is the Lower East Side. Here's a good list of places to read about:

Pianos

158 Ludlow St.

http://www.pianosnyc.com/

Cake Shop

152 Ludlow St.

http://www.cake-shop.com/

Arlene's Grocery

95 Stanton St.

http://www.arlenesgrocery.net/

Mercury Lounge

217 E. Houston

http://www.mercuryloungenyc.com/

Fat Baby

112 Rivington

http://www.fatbabynyc.com/

Welcome to the Johnsons

123 Rivington St

(between Essex St & Norfolk St)

yelp.com/biz/welcome-to-the-johnsons-new-york

WILLIAMSBURG

Williamsburg in Brooklyn is another great area for cafes and nightlife. BrooklynMel and others can chime in on specifics, but here are some previous threads to read:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5111309… Oh_Wow_Williamsburg-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3260517… Brooklyn_Help_Please-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k3332887… Where_in_Brooklyn_has_the_most_to_do_in_16_square_blocks

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4644441… Williamsburg_Questions-

NOTE: make sure you check that all the places listed are open and still exist!! A lot of things change, even from 6 months ago!

Simply use www.yelp.com/nyc , www.menupages.com or www.newyork.citysearch.com to confirm.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Few Questions...........

2. Where are the best jazz bars?

4. Empire Hotel?

Check out Jazz at Lincoln Center and Dizzy's Coca Cola, both in Lincoln Center, which is close to the Empire.

http://jalc.org/concerts/c_rose-allen.asp

http://jalc.org/dccc/index09.asp

I agree, The Empire rooftop bar can be quite "the scene", but if you go early-ish (say, 5- 8 pm?) and stake out a sofa, it shouldn't be so bad.

Also, they are SERIOUS about no sneakers/trainers, baseball caps, etc. It's funny, though: I got in wearing cool-but-casual Skechers, but my friends in high-end Nikes and super-retro-chic Chuck Taylor hi-tops did not.

Anyway, the atmo is really lovely, so I would recommend it. Why not?