We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4th week

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
4 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
July 4th week

I am going to be in New York City from July 3rd-July 7th. I don't want to cram pack the days with tons of things to see and do. This will be my first trip to the city.

I for sure want to do a walking tour of Brooklyn. I am looking at booking that on the Thursday or Friday. The other days are somewhat open. I am unsure how to plan the day of the 4th. I will be staying at the Eventi Hotel. I would like some shopping, but more local or less expensive in the thrift store realm. I will be traveling with my mom, who is not as adventurous as I am. So, please keep that in mind.

Oh and I love food-so good restaurants or eateries are a must. I should comment not real expensive, I am traveling on a teaching salary.

Any suggestions for a proposed itinerary or should I just pick a neighborhood and explore?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July 4th week

There are general suggestions in the "Top Questions" to the right.

Enjoy the 4th as NY'ers do. If it's a nice day, bring a picnic to the best viewing area for the fireworks. (Get there early, because the police will close off streets when they get too full of people - sometimes hours in advance.)

It's difficult to make more suggestions without a better idea about what you like.

I'm not much of a shopper, but you can check out some of the fun stores in the Village. If you're on a budget, 5th Avenue will likely be too expensive, but it might be fun to look at all the luxury items.

Inexpensive but fun food... Do you like Indian? There's lots of places near Lexington Avenue around 27th and 28th Streets. Many of those have all-you-can-eat lunch buffets (weekdays only) for under $15. (On weekends or holidays, there are no lunch buffets, but the food is still inexpensive.)

Definitely do pick a neighborhood and explore. Again, this is up to your interests. I frequently recommend the Lower East Side, Chinatown, and various parts of the Village and/or Soho. (These are all near each other.) These areas are NYC at its immigrant, artsy, and fashionable best. Williamsburg in Brooklyn also has an artsy/bohemian side (I had a chance to do a bit of exploring there last week).

You can also wander around the Upper West Side to see Lincoln Center, Central Park, and some of tree-lined streets with brownstones around there. Between the Upper West and Upper East sides near Central Park, there's tons of museums about history, art, science, culture, etc.

2. Re: July 4th week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 19:17