We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affinia Dumont - Studio Skyline Suite

Montreal
Level Contributor
104 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Affinia Dumont - Studio Skyline Suite

Hi,

I am thinking of staying at the Affinia Dumont with my husband - May 28th for 3 nights. Does anybody know of any deals for this particular hotel? I would like to stay in the studio skyline suite, which are on higher floors thus giving a better view, but would like to pay around $200/night...which is the price of the regular suite (no view). Somebody mentioned that there were deals to be had for this hotel but never mentioned where to look (I'd rather not use priceline).

If anybody knows of any deals, please let me know.

Thank you.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affinia Dumont - Studio Skyline Suite

Usually when there is a distinction made (like studio suite) they are less likely to discount it because there is always someone who is willing to pay the difference to be different.

Montreal
Level Contributor
104 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affinia Dumont - Studio Skyline Suite

Hi,

The studio suite is actually their "lowest class" of room. I wouldn't mind that particular room even if it doesn't have a view but I am concerned after having read some reviews on tripadvisor where some people have complained about not being able to control the temperature (either the room was too hot or too cold); the tv was an old CRT model that did not work well (the image did not match the sound - I know, I know...I am in NY...why would I be watching tv...well, it would still be nice to watch it a bit and to have it work properly); and some people have said that the hotel just is not quite as nice as it use to be.

...other reviews have said that their room was fantastic, so I'm thinking that maybe, it's just their lowest class rooms that have this problem? That's why I'm thinking of upgrading to a room called the Studio Skyline Suite (which is only one step up from their basic room).

I've emailed the hotel manager directly to see if their is much of a difference with their basic room and their skyline suites (other than the view)...but have not yet received a reply.

...so again, if anybody has seen some deals with the Affinia Dumont please let me know.

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,932 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affinia Dumont - Studio Skyline Suite

I think charging extra for a higher floor with view is a new thing. They didn't used to do that but perhaps enough people have read on tripadvisor about the views and request them so they decided to charge for it. The hotel's own website is the only place I've seen these skyline suites mentioned (and I've never seen it before your post). As you no doubt saw on the hotel's own website, you can pay $200/night plus tax for a regular studio suite if you prepay and have it non refundable. The skyline suite is $227 with the same deal.

The hotel rooms are looking dated. Here are some photos of the studio.

oyster.com/new-york-city/…

Montreal
Level Contributor
104 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affinia Dumont - Studio Skyline Suite

Hi Nywhiz

Wow - never saw that site before - thanks for sending me the link. I guess the hotel is looking a tad dated but my main concern is a getting a room that is clean with no bed bugs. I stayed at this hotel a long time ago (with some girlfriends) when it once was called The Dumont Plaza...we're talking about 20 years ago or so...it was so beautiful then.

Do you know of any other hotels in Manhattan that you can recommend for around $ 200 a night (end of May, 2 adults)?

I've been checking around and thought that this was the best (better area and size of the room is quite large) - although, it would have been nice if they had free wi-fi.

I've looked at: Holiday Inn Express Times Square - which even includes a free breakfast; New Yorker Hotel; Ink48 and even Affinia Shelburne. They are generally, all around the $ 200 a night range for May.

Thanks,

Barbara

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Affinia Dumont - Studio Skyline Suite

Of those, I'd pick Ink48. It's a bit off the beaten path(NOT that far) but it's pretty new and looks wonderful,including ther rooftop bar

Breakfast in NYC can be had for a song at any corner deli. The majority of free breakfasts I've encountered there are weak coffee and stale pastries. Exception being The Michaelangelo, which had great coffee but the same old pastries

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,932 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affinia Dumont - Studio Skyline Suite

If you really want a view, I think the Ink48 is a good idea. If a view doesn't matter, I'd PHONE the Blakely hotel and see if the deal they have on travelzoo for $195 is available for your dates as it says it should be.

travelzoo.com/hotels/…

I have yet to be able to get that price for any date I've tried from the link and it can't all be sold out. It's not as modern or snazzy as the Ink48, but it's a more convenient location and it's nicer than the Affinia Dumont and includes free wifi and cont. b/f. The deal will require prepayment though.

Montreal
Level Contributor
104 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affinia Dumont - Studio Skyline Suite

Hi Dee2673,

Yes, the Ink48 hotel does look nice - but it's the location that I'm a bit worried with...isn't Hell's Kitchen a bit on the dangerous side or am I wrong to think that way?

I googled it the other day and found that even some people who live in NYC found it a little dangerous to walk around at night.

...but it would be practical, as I plan on going to the Intrepid Museum and The Daily Show which supposedly is very close by...

Barbara

Montreal
Level Contributor
104 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Affinia Dumont - Studio Skyline Suite

Hi Nywhiz,

Thanks for looking into all of that for me...much appreciated!

I too looked into the Blakely...a few days ago and it showed that there were no specials. I will call them directly tonight when I get home - it sure does look like a nice hotel and the area seems to be better than Ink48, so hopefully they will have something...otherwise, maybe I will re-consider Ink48 again.

Barbara

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Affinia Dumont - Studio Skyline Suite

you are wrong to think that way!

Montreal
Level Contributor
104 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Affinia Dumont - Studio Skyline Suite

Hi LMVManchester,

Can you expand on that?

I have never been to that particular area so I would not know for sure, but can only tell you what I have read online.

Also, although Ink48 does look like a very nice hotel - the fact that it is supposedly a 15 minute walk from a metro line and quite possibly not in the best of neighborhoods is not ideal.

Barbara