We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dumb Question

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Dumb Question

The closed topic about Carrie's Apt got me to thinking...

The show used the facade of the building, correct? They didn't buy the building and film in the actual interior space, did they?!!

Wasn't the actual apartment a film set, somewhere... else?

So,is the notion of people giving up their apartment for filming true?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dumb Question

I thought they just shot the exterior as well

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
93,652 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dumb Question

They probably agreed to have the building used for filming and got paid for it but I don't know for sure. At the time, they probably had no idea how successful or iconic the show would be. Read the last few paragraphs here

dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2111749/Carri…

Have a look at this about the inside of the apt.

hbo.com/sex-and-the-city/cast-and-crew/carri…

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dumb Question

On the first episode the outside area and the inside of the apartment was different. Also on the series she stated the address as in the East 70s "near Barneys."

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,654 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dumb Question

My grandmother's backyard was used for three days as part of a George Clooney movie. The film crew completely took it over. Clooney was a perfect gentleman, of course, and my grandmother fixed him a lot of iced tea.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dumb Question

I met the owner of the apartment about a month ago and she is absolutely sick of the attention. She was very nice, but she said people just aren't considerate or polite, or courteous with their volume or actions. It took a long time for them to try to get the tours to stop going by the building.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dumb Question

The Perry St address was only used for the exterior shots and the original owners (I have no idea if the owners changed during the series/movies) were paid to have it used in filming. Not sure if this was a one-off payment, ongoing, if they got/get royalties etc.

Like Whiz said, I'm sure they had no idea how popular it would become and that their apartment would turn into such an attraction!

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dumb Question

Oh Whiz, thanks. That is what made sense to me but I don't actually know EVERYTHING!!

So it's about the steps "she " walked down and the outside of the building. "Carrie" (FICTIONAL CHARACTER) did not live in this building.IThe apartment was a made up set,in a studio.

The current owners were not paid to let out their apartment. The owners at the time were paid for use of the OUTSIDE of the building and had no idea how iconic this series would become.

Guess the current owners found a way to get paid for the annoyance of hordes of tourists taking pictures everyday. LOVE New York..:)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dumb Question

As far as people giving up their apartments for filming..requires allot of red tape and has to be approved by building owner/management since only they can make the call to allow them in..cause once they're in..they totally take over as jhwandere states;-) Lots of insurance is needed..in case someone trips over one of the gazzilion wires/cords/equipment they have all over the place..most pay very well..and many just come in for literally a day! Law & Order series who film all over the City have a 'locations dept' for scouting..They're known to ring bells and ask for owner..leaving business cards, etc! For the most part, I've known them to look for empty apartments..so they can decorate as needed.. .interesting business;-) Enjoy all!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,266 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dumb Question

>> Clooney was a perfect gentleman, of course, and my grandmother fixed him a lot of iced tea. <<

I'll just bet she did - LOL.

Lucky Grandma!

10. Re: Dumb Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 03:41