We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York city subway map app for Ipod ?

Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
New York city subway map app for Ipod ?

My 18 year old daughter is heading to New York alone next month, travelling from Australia enroute to a summer camp counsellor job. Must admit it's a bit scary for me to think of her alone in NYC, but the posts I've read on this forum have given me some reassurance. My questions is does someone know the name of a good Ipod App that she can install showing subway maps & route information?

Thanks.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York city subway map app for Ipod ?

Judi, your bigger problem is where your daughter is going to stay. Note that most hotels here require their guests to be 21; you may want to search on this forum for previous threads about the limited number of hotels that actually will allow an 18 year old to check in by herself.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,197 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York city subway map app for Ipod ?

For my upcoming trip, I have loaded the TripAdvisor app, Hopstop, and one called Embark NYC. Check them out to see if that's what you're looking for. Of course, I will still be bringing my handy Streetwise Manhattan map that will work even when technology doesn't!

Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York city subway map app for Ipod ?

It's OK accommodation is already sorted - booked a good (and reputable) hostel more than 2 months ago & lucky I did as it has now booked out. Thanks for your concern though!

I'll have a look at Hopstop & Embark. I did do a search for apps in this forum, but the suggestions were more than 2 years old plus I'm looking for Ipod specific (not Iphone or Ipad). Thanks again,

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York city subway map app for Ipod ?

If you wish to have a map only, then you can't go wrong with TransitMaps. It is just that. A map. It doesn't do route information, but isn't that part of the fun of being in a new city, to work out your own route.

http://m4rk.in/MeR3xj

When searching, ensure you change the results from "Relevance" to "Date" and you'll get the conversations from yesterday, the week before, etc etc, right at the top. These are regular conversations.

Edited: 15 May 2012, 02:02
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York city subway map app for Ipod ?

Try NYC Subway, I have it on my iPod touch, it's .99c from iTunes.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York city subway map app for Ipod ?

What "good hostel" have you worked out--- did you have local guidance or did you do it all from afar--- sometimes things on the internet are not as they appear--- tell us the name and location of this "good hostel"

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York city subway map app for Ipod ?

Hope it's not the Broadway Hostel

Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York city subway map app for Ipod ?

No it's not the Broadway Hostel. Not comfortable sharing the name publicly when I've just told you she'll be alone but it is one of the 3 or so 'official' NY hostels & comes personally recommended.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York city subway map app for Ipod ?

Sorry it is abit late for you "Judi W" but hopefully other's will find it useful. I use "NYC Subway Map" by mx data. Certainly the best one I think.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York city subway map app for Ipod ?

if I see one more tourist staring into their ipod-ipad-smartphone- etc with that "where the hell am i look" I think I am going to throw up--- a little pre study and a basic understanding of the system is all you need-- when someone stands outside Borough Hall in Brooklyn having just come from Wall street and asks how to get to Times Square your techy gadgets are not going to help you. They are also always that say "no thanks I think I've got it" when asked if they need help.