We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camera Not allowed

a p
VA
1 post
Save Topic
Camera Not allowed

Is there any where in New York City that DSLR camera are not allowed. I am going to NYC in a week and i have a Nikon D60 that i want to take with me.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,267 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camera Not allowed

I cant think of any. A few years ago, there was talk of a law prohibiting photography on the subway, but Im not sure it was ever imposed (maybe GWB knows?)

There are definitely places where you cant take pictures. or where you cant take flash photography (hopefully if you have an SLR you know how to do this!)

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 09 July 2012, 11:45
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,281 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camera Not allowed

There are many places where you can not take pics--ie shows, some museums Even without flash-no pics in shows.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camera Not allowed

Years ago (and I mean like 15 or 20 years ago), there was a law against any photography on the subway, but that law was changed; the present rule is that you may take pictures as long as you do not use auxiliary equipment such as tripods or lights (and flashes count as lights; this makes more sense than it may seem at first -- imagine you are a motorman pulling into a station, and someone on the platform takes a flash photo right in your eyes as you are trying to drive a ten-car train...)

I will also note that it will seem very suspicious if you try to photograph unlikely subjects that are of particular interest to terrorists, such as underwater tunnel entrances, or the entrances to towers or TA offices, etc., and you should not be surprised if you get questioned about such activity.

Some museums do not allow photography, and the same is true of certain theaters.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camera Not allowed

Most of the tourist areas are safe to photograph as there are few restrictions. But there are places like the Metro Museum of Art, the Museum of Modern Art, they has certain areas in their museums you cannot use any camera, when they special exhibitions.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Camera Not allowed

I think you are required to have a D300 or better to photograph on the streets of NYC,,,,,,

Poppa

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camera Not allowed

Discovery TSX does not allow cameras.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camera Not allowed

A Nikon d60 will be fine.

Any camera is okay in NYC and the USA.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Camera Not allowed

midon1 - I was funning a bit...........not serious!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camera Not allowed

there are some luxury stores and hotels that might give you a warning if you take pictures inside. probably b/c they don't want people trying to copy their designs/products by studying the photographs.

Alabama
Level Contributor
971 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camera Not allowed

Don't even try to take a self-portrait that does NOT include the stage at Wicked! The ushers freak out!