We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter in Central Park

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Winter in Central Park

My son and daughter-in-law are going to be in NYC in early December and I would like to buy them a horse-drawn carriage tour around Central Park. I need a knowledgable tour guide who will give them lots of interesting information. I would also like some extras like maybe some chocolates and champagne. Where can I book such a tour online?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter in Central Park

Not a good idea - the average ride is about 15 minutes in a specific, highly regulated area.

While there may be a 'tour' operator who does this - many on THIS Forum do not recco the rides as the animals are not treated very well and the drivers do whatever they want even though it states rides are 30 minutes - good luck.

Check the FAQ's on carriage rides for a lot more information - just a couple of weeks ago another horse collapsed in the heat....I know your object is in the winter - it's all a mess with this 'tourist' operation (TRAP).

Poppa

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,900 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter in Central Park

I applaud your desire to make a nice romantic memory for your kids but this is not a good idea for a whole host of reasons. They won't see much of the park this way and it's hard from a distance for you to control.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter in Central Park

This is a really bad idea - send them to a nice restaurant.

The people who operate the carriage rides are often just hustling whatever money they can get out of tourists. You are not going to be able to prepay with a credit card and get some trustworthy soul who just wants to share in your joy and happiness / desire to make their trip nice. You'll most likely just get ripped off and lose your money.

Go with a trusted restaurant instead. River Cafe is lovely.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter in Central Park

It is an incredibly romantic ride. At the risk of making a lot of people mad. Have done this and loved it. However, to qualify, if you are present and can see the condition of the animals and talk with the owner,some are legit business men who take great care of their animals and are just trying to make an honest living. However, many more are out to make a fast buck on the back of their animals and you would never in good conscience put one penny in their pockets. You have to see it for yourself. So from a distance, no. Send them to a nice restaurant, or give them an amazing limo ride.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter in Central Park

Thanks very much - those posts were helpful. Whatever happened to the romantic ride around the park!?! I really wanted to prepay something fun and educational about NYC - any suggestions?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter in Central Park

Perhaps you could apply for a Big Apple Greeter for them and request Central Park as the destination.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter in Central Park

I had a quick look at Big Apple Greeter and that looks fun - will explore that option for sure. Thanks!

8. Re: Winter in Central Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 00:46