We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Marquis or W Times Square?

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott Marquis or W Times Square?

I am planning a trip to NY for my adult daughter and I. Arriving Christmas Day and staying for 14 nights. We really want to be in the heart of things for New Years Eve.

We are considering Marriott Marquis or W Times Square. It has been also suggested to me to stay 7 nights in Times Square and perhaps 7 nights in another area e.g. Michaelangelo.

What do you think?

Many thanks!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Marquis or W Times Square?

I think 14 days in Times Square is enough to drive the most calm person off the wall and crazy.

The W Hotel Times Square is very very nice and you can always do a few nights there and spend the rest of your time in more "real" neighborhood.

The brand new Hyatt in Union Square is now scheduled to open in early March. It has been delayed quite a bit but I really think they're going to open by March - I really don't think there will be any more delays. That is such a fantastic location. Until the Hyatt opens, the only hotel in Union Square is the W and it is just outrageously expensive (the only game in town). The W Union Square may be an option for you if you don't mind those rates and you are a fan of W Hotels.

There are now a number of very good hotels on the Upper West Side if you want a more residential neighborhood with plenty of shopping, restaurants and lots of families. I prefer Union Square and Greenwich Village to the Upper West but that is partly because I don't have a family and I've always lived in this part of NYC.

1LH
La Verne, California
Level Contributor
29 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Marquis or W Times Square?

I just returned from staying at the Marriott Marquis for NYE and it was wonderful. Definitely in the heart of it all. Our room was on the 14th floor overlooking Time Square. On the 30th, we saw them testing the ball. On the 31st, we heard the sound checks for the performers schedule to appear on the NYE show. The NYPD even appeared to have a command post or resting area within a ballroom in the hotel.

If you want to see the ball drop without standing on the street all day, make a reservation for a restaurant in the area. I spent NYE at the Brooklyn Diner and the experience was fantastic. Tony's Di Napoli was next door and Bella Vita Pizzeria was across Broadway also on 43rd. Just an idea. We walked out to watch the ball drop at 11:45 pm. It was the best NYE I have experienced thus far and our experience at the Marriott was great too.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Marquis or W Times Square?

Thanks for your replies.

What hotels in Greenwich Village would you recommend?

How far in advance are you able to book for dinner on NYE? Are the prices outrageously expensive? (They are here in Sydney!)

Many thanks :)

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Marquis or W Times Square?

The new Hyatt will actually be in Greenwich Village. Technically speaking, Greenwich Village goes up to 14th Street and the new Hyatt is on 13th.

Many would say Washington Square Park is the heart or center of Greenwich Village.

The one nearby hotel for Washington Square is the Washington Square Hotel. http://www.washingtonsquarehotel.com/

Personally, I never bother with going out on New Year's Eve so I really don't know. It is extremely expensive and I just don't feel it is a good value for my dollar. I can go out to all these restaurants any night - I don't need to pay more for New Year's Eve. Gosh, I make myself sound dull and cheap. I like going out - just not on New Year's Eve.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,454 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott Marquis or W Times Square?

Most locals (and a lot of visitors) feel Times Square is a nice place to visit, but not to live. For a trip where visitors plan to do theater most nights,Times Square makes sense. As for the New Year's Eve thing, read the FAQ on

Timessquarealliance.org

If you really want to stay in TS, I'd look at the Doubletree Guest Suites which is all 1 bedroom suites, nice space for a Mother daughter trip vs a standard room. There are also hotels that are near TS but not right in it. The London is another suite hotel just north of TS.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott Marquis or W Times Square?

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Both the Washington Square Hotel and Doubletrree Guest Suites look great. It is proving hard to decide where to stay!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott Marquis or W Times Square?

Two weeks at the Doubletree would be too much for me.

The Washington Square doesn't offer the proximity to Times Square that you seem to be looking for at New Year's.

The Washington Square will put you in the heart of one of the most charming and most sought after (based on real estate / property costs) neighborhoods. The Washington Square puts you in the heart of restaurants and wine bars that people in the know seek out. 8th Street Wine Cellar, Amelie Wine bar, Insomnia Cookies, Mario Batali's Otto, Mario Batali's Babbo (directly opposite the hotel), the list goes on and on and on.

To me, the central question is if you're happy switching hotels.

The other question is whether you want the character and charm the Washington Square offers or if you'd prefer the brand new / modern touches the new Hyatt will offer.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,454 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott Marquis or W Times Square?

If I were going to stay in Times Square for 2 weeks, the Doubletree is one of the best options. I'll also mention AKA suites which has a Times Square location and is also suites.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d655944-…

The Washington Square is an old building and while it has some charm, I don't think I'd want to stay there for more than a few nights. If you want to be in/near Greenwich Village, there are b & b's like

west-eleventh.com

gvhabitue.com

abindgonguesthouse.com

or the W Union Square and the new Hyatt moreff mentioned that would be much nicer.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
191 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriott Marquis or W Times Square?

- “We really want to be in the heart of things for New Years Eve.”

Be sure to read this information about New Years Eve in New York City:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6006502…

Our family of 5 spent December 29th, 2012 through January 4th, 2013 in New York City. We celebrated New Years Eve at a restaurant where you could see the ball drop from the restaurant's 2nd floor window. However, we were actually able to see the event outside, since the police kindly let us out on the sidewalk about 11:30 -- which is NEVER a guarantee, so we felt pretty lucky. Here's my trip report:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k6024582…

As for researching other things to do, go to the New York City forum and put in your own search terms (then sort according to relevance or date):

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60763-i5-New_York…

10. Re: Marriott Marquis or W Times Square?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2014, 01:16