We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please! Which Broadway show this June 2013???

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help please! Which Broadway show this June 2013???

Hi :)

My partner and I and our two children 13 & 14 yrs will be travelling to New York in June 2013. Last year we visited in April and went to see The Lion King and it was amazing!! Actually my first musical theatre experience ever!! I have since seen Annie and Jersey Boys in Brisbane, both which were very very good :)

We are just struggling to make a decision between the following musicals. All help will be very much appreciated. Our children have never been to New York and we want to treat them to a broadway musical spectacular. My partners son has already seen Mary Poppins and Wicked but I am sure he would be open to seeing again.

Wicked (reviews sound great)

Newsies (looks like fun)

Matilda (a classic, we all love the movie)

Mamma Mia (Enjoyed the movie although not a huge Abba fan)

Please help so we can get it booked and move onto other bookings / itinerary planning etc

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please! Which Broadway show this June 2013???

Wicked is never discounted and will cost the most of any on the list. Since one of the children has already seen it, I don't think that's the best idea. I'd go for Newsies or Matilda. Are the children both boys or boy and girl?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please! Which Broadway show this June 2013???

Thanks for the reply. Yes I was leaning towards Newsies or Matilda. Any other suggestions?

We have 1 daughter (13 yrs) and 1 son (12 yrs)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,066 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please! Which Broadway show this June 2013???

I say Newsies.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
345 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please! Which Broadway show this June 2013???

I think "Newsies" would be a good choice. Lots of young teens in the audience when I went last May. Good show!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please! Which Broadway show this June 2013???

Thanks :) Anyone been to see Matilda? Any other suggestions??

Berlin
Level Contributor
42 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please! Which Broadway show this June 2013???

Have watched "Mamma Mia" several times. And each time it's great. You should certainly consider it.

We're gonna be there in June as well and are probably going to watch "Lucky Guy".

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please! Which Broadway show this June 2013???

I watched Matilda in the UK last year with my 9 year old daughter. Its far less spectacular visually than the Lion King, and she was a bit disappointed. I am in New York in June myself this year, and struggling with the same question you are!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
210 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please! Which Broadway show this June 2013???

I vote Newsies too. I loved it. My tween daughter loved it.

Wicked is still my all time favorite, but since one in your party has already seen it, Newsies would be a good choice. Also Wicked tours so you may be able to catch it at home.

United States
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please! Which Broadway show this June 2013???

matilda. absolutely incredible. you will giggle and cry and its amazing for all ages.

United States
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help please! Which Broadway show this June 2013???

matilda. absolutely incredible. you will giggle and cry and its amazing for all ages.