We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Empire State Building..

Port d'Alcudia...
Level Contributor
86 posts
28 reviews
Empire State Building..

Hi All,

Just looking at booking empire state building , a few things looking at .

Is it worth paying doublé the ticket Price to not have to que?

Is it worth paying more to go the very top,

Best time to go , day or night, we are doing the top of the rock on day time , so was thinking doing the night ..

Thanks,

Mark

1. Re: Empire State Building..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2016, 15:33
Port d'Alcudia...
Level Contributor
86 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Empire State Building..

Hi.

Thanks for the info.

Mark

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Empire State Building..

Welcome back, Poppa ("ernie"). Your penchant for using exclamation points and hyphens gives you away.

"Is it worth paying doublé the ticket Price to not have to que?"

It was worth it for me. There's no good way to tell, unless you go early in the morning, whether it'll be crowded or not. I see people say on here all the time that it's not crowded late at night. When I went at 11:00 - 11:30 p.m. there was still a line out the door when I left. I think it depends a lot on your tolerance for standing in line. I have a low tolerance for it.

4. Re: Empire State Building..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2016, 15:33
Port d'Alcudia...
Level Contributor
86 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Empire State Building..

Hi ,

Thanks for the info ..

Mark

Oban, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
136 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Empire State Building..

"Is it worth paying more to go to the top?"

In all honesty, I don't believe so. The top is indoors and behind glass, so you are constantly fighting with the reflection to get that great photograph you are looking for. That was a major downside to me as compared to, say, Top of the Rock. On the plus side I found it a lot less crowded and so more spacious than the first level so I felt I had a bit more time to look and pick out some sites.

As for the deleted comment questioning whether it is worth doing two observations decks - absolutely it is. If you're a skyscraper junkie, like I am, then it is definitely worthwhile doing as many as you wish. It's a marvel looking up at these tall buildings, but it is also a wonder looking down from them. Both ESB and TOTR (and I'm sure OWO, though I haven't been up there yet) have their plus and minus points when compared to one another.

If you are doing TOTR at day then it would probably be worthwhile doing ESB at night, just for the different perspective. I personally did TOTR at sunset - getting both day and night - and ESB in the morning, but it's a matter of schedule.

Scotland
Level Contributor
313 posts
63 reviews
7. Re: Empire State Building..

I paid the extra money to go up last year and it was great. Just taken straight up. Going to do same again in May. Did TOTR also last year and doing it again in May. As far as I was concerned completely different experiences and both great.

Last year people on this forum advised against doing ESB; said TOTR. It was friends and relatives who had already been who said to do ESB. It is the iconic one and truly magical but I would not miss TOTR either.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Empire State Building..

Hi

I would recommend paying the extra for the Express ticket. We just arrived back from NYC & so glad we paid the extra. We arrived around 11.30am & were up to the viewing platform in around 10 mins. I did hear that some had been lining up for over an hour.

There is so much to see & do the time is definitely best spent elsewhere!

Edited: 06 January 2016, 13:53
USA
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
16,426 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: Empire State Building..

I like the 102nd floor observatory, you're there, spend the few extra bucks and experience it.

South Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
224 posts
78 reviews
10. Re: Empire State Building..

Could anyone advise - is the lobby area free to enter and are their stores etc at lobby level?