We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wright-Patterson AFB

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
Wright-Patterson AFB

My husband is interested in seeing Wright Patterson AFB but we're having trouble finding information, the base's website doesn't seem to have any visitor section. Are tours available? Do we need any particular ID given that it's a military base? Are there good hotels nearby? Thanks for any help.

10 replies to this topic
Dayton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Dayton
Level Contributor
441 posts
74 reviews
1. Re: Wright-Patterson AFB

As far as I know you cannot access the actual base uses you have a reason to be there and have to have a person sponsor you to get in the gate. If you mean the Air Force Museum that is a different story. I will put a link at the bottom if this post. Its really a great place to visit and very interesting. They have an Air Force One plane bt I know you have to make reservations to see it so ask about that as soon as you get there. As far as Hotels, I'll post another link. There are some right across the street but I wouldn't recommend them, they are and of run down. Heres the hotel link https://www.tripadvisor.com/HotelsNear-g6078… Here is the link to the actual museum with hours, directions etc.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
90 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Wright-Patterson AFB

Thank you! One more question - if the hotels nearby are run down, does that mean the area around the base is in any way unsafe?

US
Level Contributor
5,859 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: Wright-Patterson AFB

About a 10 min drive away are ok hotels- Hilton Garden Inn and Homewood Suites, for example. We’ve stayed at the Hampton Inn and it was fine but current reviews don’t look as good.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,366 posts
3,388 reviews
4. Re: Wright-Patterson AFB

OhioStar1803,

The public may not tour Wright-Patterson AFB.

National Museum of the USAF

www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

This museum is Smithsonian Quality and is Arguably the finest Dayton and Ohio attraction.

For one-half a century we have awed International visitors with a visit to National Museum of the USAF.

The National Museum of the United States Air Force, located near Dayton, Ohio, is the world's largest and oldest military aviation museum featuring more than 360 aerospace vehicles and missiles on display amid more than

17 acres of indoor exhibit space.

Hours:

Open daily 9 a.m.-5 p.m.

Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Year's Day

FREE Admission!

FREE Parking and we see cars from 20+ states very often

Enjoy

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,366 posts
3,388 reviews
5. Re: Wright-Patterson AFB

if the hotels nearby are run down, does that mean the area around the base is in any way unsafe?

====

The National Museum of the USAF is safe...

We often take International Guests to The National Museum of the United States Air Force.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,366 posts
3,388 reviews
6. Re: Wright-Patterson AFB

Recommend lodging at Holiday Inn

Holiday Inn Dayton/Fairborn I-675 Hotel by IHG

https:/…hoteldetail

This is a business property and has been updated -- Rates vary - Do not pay Rack Rate.

Dining: consider

Flemings Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar

Oakwood Club

Pine Club

Carvers Steak & Chops

The Paragon Supper Club

Dayton Racquet Club

Jay's Seafood Restaurant

Sweeney's Seafood

Bonefish Grill

Wellington Grille Restaurant

Redlands Grill by J Alexander's

The Chop House

Pasha Grill

Roost Modern Italian

Bravo Restaurant

Franco's Ristorante Italian

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
3,490 posts
276 reviews
7. Re: Wright-Patterson AFB

After the debacle 2 days ago where a drill turned into a full scale turn-out because someone didn't get the message and called 911 for an active shooter which triggered a TRUE full-scale operation into action which included an AP opening a locked door with a nine millimeter round, the base might be a little touchy right now. Since 9-11, access has been much more difficult to obtain for non-military personnel without specific reason.

If you do decide to visit the Air Force Museum, figure two full days. This is the Aviation Heritage NP area which also offers the Armstrong Museum in Wapakeneta, the bicycle shop, et.al. and Carillon Park with the third Wright Flyer and Sunwatch Village next door as well to visit.

And yes, they still deny they have anything from Roswell.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 11:31
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Wright-Patterson AFB

You don’t need any reservations or anything to see the presidential planes anymore.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
210 posts
221 reviews
9. Re: Wright-Patterson AFB

I’ve stayed at the Homewood Suites nearby. It’s nice. It’s close to Wright State.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,366 posts
3,388 reviews
10. Re: Wright-Patterson AFB

Homewood Suites is a very good choice.

University often houses guests here.

Reply to: Wright-Patterson AFB
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted