We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dayton to NYC by bus

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Dayton to NYC by bus

I recently became aware of round-trip bus service from Dayton, OH (Target on Miamisburg-Centerville Road) to Chinatown in Manhattan for $50 one way via Sky Horse Bus and Bus2NYC. The buses leave at 10 or 10:30 PM, and arrive in NYC the next morning. Would anyone who has availed themselves of this service care to comment on their experience?

Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Dayton to NYC by bus

I had a friend who took the bus twice travel to NYC via their service. He said it was fine, except someone couldn't wait till next stop and went to the bathroom in the back that was, let's just say, unpleasant. Driver kept cracking jokes about it afterwords LOL

From what I remember, he also said they stop several times to load/unload passengers at other cities and one time they waited on someone who was late for a while, which caused him to almost miss a flight he then had at JFK. Hope this helps.

New York, New York...
1 post
2. Re: Dayton to NYC by bus

I recently had the unpleasant experience of getting on this bus and making my way to Dayton, Ohio, and I have to say never again will I subject myself to such torture. What will forever stick out in my memory,is the stench of the unclean bathroom that permeated the bus, the overcrowding of passengers, that we made several stops to pick up along the way, and the general lack of care towards their patrons. I honestly believe this experience could be hazardous to your health, what a complete joke of a service. I guess you get what you pay for.

ohio
2 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Dayton to NYC by bus

They left my 17 year old son off at the wrong stop and he was in another town in an abandoned hotel , VERY Scary! I was furious!~

Miamisburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
249 reviews
4. Re: Dayton to NYC by bus

This bus is known as the "Chinatown bus" or" Chinatown Express" to those who live in NY. This is famous for cheap fare, no frills, and delivery at some point to Chinatown in NYC or near Macy's by Herald Sq. I used to live in NY and now am in O H I O. The fares in NY are 5 bucks between NYC and Albany, 20 or 10 bucks from Buffalo and NYC. There is nothing that beats the cost, So with that in mind, you get what you pay for. They aren't going to give you customer service, ticket, food, a clean bathroom, take care of your kids, but they are going to get you from point a to point b cheaper than any one out there. Notice no ads. Everything is word of mouth, Safety has been an issue in the past. This are not regulated lines. However, I have used them in the past when I wanted to get to NYC cheap. I appreciated it. Brought my food and drink, toilet paper, and resolve.....what do you expect for tenth of the cost normally. That is how New Yorkers roll people.

Miamisburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
249 reviews
5. Re: Dayton to NYC by bus

Another point NYC is 12-14 hours from Dayton. Usually 2 tanks of gas to and 2 tanks of gas from///Lets not forget about tolls, parking, and the risk to your car in NYC. I have yet seen a driver not familiar with NYC streets and area manage the driving and parking. If you are parking Midtown...hey that is 75 bucks at least for a garage per day. Just saying

Franklin Lakes, New...
1 post
1 review
6. Re: Dayton to NYC by bus

My son is a UD Student and takes this bus on occasion when he is coming home for break. Your question was posted in 2012 and the cost was around $50.00 at that time, his most recent trip cost $60.00. For the most part it is a good way to travel. There have been an issue or two with the heat and on a long overnight drive in the winter it can be pretty uncomfortable. Having used coach buses for school and events I have experienced this before so I can't say its a company issue. It is a nice option to have.

São Paulo, São...
1 post
1 review
7. Re: Dayton to NYC by bus

These travel company has base at station road ?

8. Re: Dayton to NYC by bus

Hi yes I just took this bus the driver was great no playing around took less time than they CLaim arrived NY to centerville an hr and a half early bus is dark the whole ride so people pretty much sleep don't sit too close to bathroom isn't great. But I had two seats to stretch out and sleep. Is a good ride for the money I'm taking it back soon bought a one way ticket just in case I didn't like it but was fine. This ride was 70.00 go to bus not 50.00

1 post
9. Re: Dayton to NYC by bus

Don't even bother with this company.Jaguar or sky horse or whatever their fly by night name is. The Bus didn't show up at all. The Dayton to NYC bus was Scheduled to be at the stop at 9:00pm. When it didn't show I called and was told it would arrive at 9:35pm. It didn't show up.

I was then told another bus was scheduled to be there at 10pm. At about 10:15pm, an hour and fifteen minutes late I get a text from this company telling me their were mechanical problems with both buses and neither was going to be arriving. I called their so called customer service and told them about the text. They assured me a 3rd bus was on the way in 30 minutes. Bus never came. Called them back and they denied telling me about the 3rd bus. Two different reps told me about the 3rd bus. They outright lied. I'm sure what happened was that they didn't have enough passengers to justify the cost of driving to New York so they made up the story about the buses breaking down. Cmon two buses breaking down at the same time? I called and ask to speak with a manager and was told no manager was there. They told me to call back the next day. I did call the next day at 2pm. Again, no manager was there.This company along with their buses are both disease infested sewers. Zero stars!!

10. Re: Dayton to NYC by bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2018, 16:18