We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak station safety

Which Jacksonville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chantilly, Virginia
3 posts
Save Topic
Amtrak station safety

Hi -

I know there are some older discussions about this, but looking for an update on the safety of the Amtrak station in Jacksonville. May be traveling with small child. From what I've read so far, it is in an older industrial section of town so not much to see or do but stay in the station? We may be dropped off several hours in advance of train (by someone else that needs to catch a flight so not much flexibility there). Amtrak leaves fairly late at night so am concerned about safety while we wait. Thanks!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,523 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak station safety

Better to get dropped off at a nearby hotel from which you can take a taxi to the train station nearer to the time when the train will be getting in.

Edited: 17 February 2012, 16:32
Chantilly, Virginia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak station safety

Thanks for the info! I also thought about going to the airport with our driver and killing time there - better food options and more things to look at. Then taking a cab to the train station later. Anyone have thoughts on cab safety as well as fare prices from JAX to Amtrak station? It would be a Sunday night.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak station safety

Hello Sara,

I haven't been to the Amtrack Station, but it's location on the map doesn't look too savory.

What time does your train leave?

Across Interstate 95 from the airport there is a mall, the River City Marketplace. There is a movie theatre there that shows 14 films. It's easy to while away a couple hours watching a film. Here's a link: fandango.com/hollywoodtheatersrivercitymarke…

The phone number for Gator City Taxi is (904) 355-8294 Suggest you call them and ask about fares.

Something else you could do would be to call the Jacksonville Police Department and talk to them about the safety at the Amtrack Station. The information number is (904) 630-7600

Have a safe trip,

Spirit

Edited: 17 February 2012, 21:47
jacksonville
Level Contributor
368 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak station safety

The amtrack station is like any other train station. Just be careful and use your common sense. You certainly do not need to rent a hotel room to avoid waiting at the station!!

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,483 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak station safety

While it's true that the station is not in the greatest area, I don't think that you would be in any danger inside the station. My daughter and little grandson took the train many times from south Florida to Jacksonville a few years ago when our grandson was a baby. There was never a problem. It's well-staffed and I wouldn't worry. However, it's true that there is nothing in the area for you to do. It would be fairly expensive to take a taxi from the airport to the train station. If you need to kill some time, it may be better to hang out at the Jacksonville Landing, which has some shops and restaurants, and is closer in proximity to the station itself.

Vicki

Chantilly, Virginia
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak station safety

Thanks for all the replies. We ended up hanging out at the airport for a couple of hours so that we had food options and taking a Gator City cab to the train station (about $35 with tip). Because it was a holiday Sunday night, little was open. The train station itself seemed fine and well-staffed. We were the only ones waiting for the first 45 min. but then other passengers began showing up and we never felt uncomfortable.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak station safety

Good to hear, Sara.

8. Re: Amtrak station safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2013, 05:28