We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing from the beach

NC
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
fishing from the beach

Is it possible to fish for salmon or sturgeon or other fish from the shore? If so, do you need a license?

8 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,601 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fishing from the beach

Except for certain "free" days it's my understanding that licenses are required everywhere in the state and it's critical that you know what's in season, what license is required, what rules regarding bait, lures and flies are allowed, limits, etc. Chances of hooking a sturgeon under any conditions from the shore are about as good as winning Powerball two weeks in a row.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
8,461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: fishing from the beach

welcome,

heres a web site for you.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/

If you want to DIY.

If you find a guide, they will know the local regulations and where the spots are suppose to be.

You will find that many times the season maybe cut short due to salmon count or number of catches. I work with alot of fisherman and they grip alot when the season was cut short. Many of them have boats too.

when i was younger my dad and i use to fish alot, but after a while, i got tired of getting 0 fish and using my whole weekend. So now i will just buy one and have my whole weekend to do something too.

im sure you want the fun factor and you can do that too, but sometimes you may not get anything.

good luck

Sherwood, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: fishing from the beach

A guide is the best way to go for catching either sturgeon or chinook salmon. There are many to choose from, but reviews can help you narrow the field to ones with good reputations.

Here's a link to one I'm familiar with: https://ItsAllGoodGuideService.com/

Level Contributor
38,297 posts
1,004 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fishing from the beach

When are you visiting? We catch alot of Chinook off the shore of the Necanicum River in Seaside in the Fall. You will need a fishing license. You can purchase one at Bud's RV or Rite-Aid. Good luck! :)

5. Re: fishing from the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2018, 13:07

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,601 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fishing from the beach

No, but sturgeon swim in both the Columbia and Willamette.

7. Re: fishing from the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2018, 13:07

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,601 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fishing from the beach

But no one fishes for birds from the river shores. Sturgeon don't fly too well, so have stayed primarily in the Columbia for many millennia. Hooking one would be the experience of a lifetime.

Reply to: fishing from the beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted