We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise stop in September....what to do?

Nazareth...
Level Contributor
78 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise stop in September....what to do?

We will stop in Astoria on our Princess cruise Sept 23 . None of the ship excursions appeal to us and so we hoped to take the trolley into town and perhaps the museum. However, it looks like the trolley will not be running then? Other ways to get to town? Ideas of a few things to do? Thought about having the hubby climb the column....worth it? We will be there 10 to 6. Thanx in advance for your help!

15 replies to this topic
Nazareth...
Level Contributor
78 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cruise stop in September....what to do?

Thank you all for your great tips!

Save Reply
12. Re: Cruise stop in September....what to do?

Hi Jo B,

My husband and I are going to be on the same cruise as you. I think that we have decided to leave the ship and walk along the Astoria Riverwalk to the Bikes and Beyond bike rental hitting the Buoy brewery on the way. Ride further east for a bit and backtrack to another brewery my husband wants to visit and then possibly ride through through the town maybe to the Column. It's been years since I've ridden a bicycle but I've been told that once you learn how to ride a bike you never forget. Fingers crossed.

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cruise stop in September....what to do?

Fort George Brewery has some off the best craft beers in the world as does Rouge which is based in Newport but has a pub outlet just east of Old Town. Buoy Beer has excellent brews and has a very nice pub on the bank of the river with large picture windows looking out over the river and is a fun place for lunch. Those, some of the shops in Old Town and the Column would make for a nice stop in Astoria.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cruise stop in September....what to do?

“...my husband wants to visit and then possibly ride...maybe to the Column.”

Probably not a good idea as I’d guess you’d be walking the bike as much as riding it. Pretty steep climb as I recall and not one I’d want to do in traffic (and I was a reasonably avid cyclist a few years ago). Instead continue East on the Riverwalk to Pier 39 and Rogue Ales. Food quality there isn’t near the quality of Buoy Beer, but the beer is. Stop at Pier 36 too, where you’ll see why salmon doesn’t appear on as many menus as it once did.

Edited: 15 September 2018, 23:23
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,418 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cruise stop in September....what to do?

>>Instead continue East on the Riverwalk to Pier 39 and Rogue Ales.<<

Decent food and a far more interesting location! It sits out in the river on an old pier that you drive/bike/walk over the wooden boards. There is also a great coffee shop with delicious pastries, and a free cannery museum that is fun to wander through.

The Astoria Column is up on a hill. Pretty darn steep. Unless you are in "Tour de France" condition, I'd not try it ;-) I think there is Uber in Astoria plus some cabs.

Reply to: Cruise stop in September....what to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted