We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tybee Island accomodations

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
E-town
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tybee Island accomodations

We'll be staying on Tybee Island the first week of April and we're trying to decide on where to stay. We've done all the research that can be done via the computer, but now we're looking for some people who've had recent personal experiences with these places.

Has anyone ever stayed at the HoJo, the Desoto or the Ocean Plaza? Or better yet, has anyone stayed at all of them? What can you share relative to the pluses/minuses of the rooms, the facilities, the locations, etc.

The Desoto claims it's the only property right on the beach. Is this true, and does it even matter based on the proximity of the other locations to the beach?

Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tybee Island accomodations

Ocean Plaza is also on the beach, ocean view, both older but not as old as the HoJo. They all have somewhat of a musty smell being on the beach. Not much to do at night. You might want to consider staying in town & just going to the beach.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tybee Island accomodations

The Ocean Plaza has a parking lot between it and the beach, thus the Desoto's claim. The lot doesn't affect the view though.

The Ocean Plaza is closer to the pier and it's activity, whether that is something you want or not is up to you.

The HoJo is a full block from the beach and across the main 4 lane road, that can be an inconvenience with beach chairs, etc..

Boston
Level Contributor
3,695 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tybee Island accomodations

We've stayed at the HoJo and I just got back from a businees trip and stayed at the Desoto for ten days. The HOJO is not so great- old, dark- only good if you need a really cheap place to hang your hat under a roof. Def NOT on the beach but it is a short walk to the pier. The DeSoto used to be a big hotel from what I've been told but is now really a motel- but a nice one! I stayed in the main building with a room on the third floor overlooking the water and I would recommend this place. NO luxury involved so it doesn't rate any stars but the service was friendly, the room was super clean, they have an elevator, lots of parking, are truly on the beach (at the end of their parking lot) and because it was off season, very quiet. I don't know what its like when all the rooms in the main building and the side buildings fill up and because its somewhat open, I might bet it could get noisy but I would guess that unless Spring Break people are around, you might still get a decent night sleep. Any questions, feel free to PM me

4. Re: Tybee Island accomodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:15