We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time advice

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time advice

My wife and I are coming to Savannah for the first time at the beginning of September.

We are asking advice on someplace to stay. We love history and would like to find someplace "local" meaning historical, quaint and perhaps a little romantic as this will be part of her birthday present.

We will only be staying one night and have most of two days to explore so any advice on must-sees would be helpful as well as we don't know when we might make it back (we live on the west coast)

I also have heard of a place to go for dinner that sounded like it was in the sticks and was a seafood feed (buckets of seafood dumped on the table and a pail to rid of the waste)

If we could get some advice it would totally help me out.

Thank you in advance and if you have any questions please feel free to post those to me here as well.

Alpena, Michigan
Level Contributor
260 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time advice

From your question, I would think that staying in the Historic District would be your best and only choice. There are so many places you could stay in the Historic District but from our many years of staying in Savannah, I do believe that you would love the Planters Inn on Reynolds Square. If you would look at recommendations on Trip Advisor as well as going to www.visitsavannah.com and request a visitors guide, you will get all your questions answered. And the 2 days you are talking about spending in the Savannah area...I think once you are here that it is not enough time to enjoy the area and you will be back.

Even though we have been to tons of restaurants in the area that we love, I'm sorry but don't know which one you are talking about specifically.

Enjoy

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,531 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time advice

You may be talking about the Crab Shack on Tybee Island. A lot of great historic inns in Savannah.

http://www.thecrabshack.com/

Enjoy your trip.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time advice

Look at The Marshall House or any of the B&Bs (if you like the B& B thing) or the inns that are reviewed on this site, there are not so many that you cant look through them. Pick a couple and then we can help you with location etc.

The best way to experience Savannah is to first take a trolley tour, that gets you a nice tour and an overview of the city. Get the on/off ticket, then you can use the trolley as a shuttle all day which will save your feet some wear.

Spend the rest of your time walking. Go from Bay to Forsyth park on Bull Street then come back to Bay on Abercorn, then walk to Gaston on Habersham or Barnard, then back on the other. That will get you through most of the squares, each one is unique and worth seeing..

Do not eat at the crab shack, yuk.

The meal you are talking about is called a low country boil, it is really fun, potatoes, corn, shrimp and sausage all boiled together and then dumped on the table. Everyone stands around the table and peels shrimp and eats and drinks beer, it is nice. I don't know of any restaurants that do that now, they have just turned it into a meal on a plate, but it is still good.

There are tons of restaurants downtown, casual to fancy serving every kind of food, let us know what you like and we can help you pin a couple down.

BTW, I was born and raised in Everett, been here 25 years or so.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time advice

I have eaten at the Crab Shack and I can't say anything bad about the food. With that being said, I wouldn't go out there to eat if that was my only night or day in Savannah. I have heard many great things about The Old School Diner but I haven't got the opportunity to drive out there to eat which I understand is way out in the country. Still if I had only one night in Savannah, stay and eat in the historic district. There's so many great restaurants to choose from. Some to mention are:

Olde Pink House

17Hundred&90 Inn

Crystal Beer Parlor

Vic's on the River

and many more.

As far as B&Bs or Inns, check out the following ones.

Kehoe House

Ballastone Inn

Planters Inn

Marshall House

President's Quarters

You can search on all these and find their respective websites or look at them on this site and the reviews. I can't speak for any of these inns or b&bs personally as usually I try to stick to under $150 a night for a hotel or B&B and concentrate on spending more money on food and entertainment. I have talked with people who have stayed at these and all say good things about them. I wouldn't hestiate to stay at any of these if I got a great rate and sometimes they do have great rates but most of the time it's during the week. Good Luck and have fun.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time advice

I agree that the restaurant sounds like the Crab Shack, and also agree that it's not worth the effort, especially on such a short trip. I've been several times, and have always left underwhelmed. The atmosphere is fun in a tacky, touristy way, but the food just is not that good. Savannah has so many world class restaurants; I wouldn't squander my only dinner there.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time advice

East Bay Inn is nice and it's close to a lot of attractions.

East Bay Inn @ 225 East Bay Street, Savannah, GA 912 - 238 - 1225.

http://www.eastbayinn.com/rooms.shtml

Boston
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time advice

So many great places to stay in the HD but by all means SKIP the Crab Shack. I finally got my arm twisted to go and left totally underwhelmed also. Not much food, kind of dirty- maybe if I was drunk I might like it but it came off as the ultimate tourist trap. TONS of great places to eat in the HD so stay put!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time advice

OOPs, I meant to add that depending on your age, you might like the Planters Inn. I stayed there recently and most of the guests were older baby boomers and I wonder if I was much younger if I would have wished I was somewhere else. Please read my review of the Planters Inn to get my personal opinion of this Inn if you like.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First time advice

Thank you for all the reply's! They were very helpful. We have been eying the 1895 Inn but have not pulled the trigger.

I think we will skip the Crab Shack and find someplace else.

Thanks again!

Michigan
Level Contributor
94 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time advice

If you can wait 2 weeks for a review, I will be staying at the 1895 Inn and will be posting a trip report. If you have specific questions, you could ask them then and I'll reply (or ask now and I'll keep an eye out).