We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive time to DC for Inuaguration

Elizabethton,TN
Level Contributor
57 posts
Drive time to DC for Inuaguration

Hello All

My girlfriend and I will be attending the upcoming Presidential Inauguration. We are staying in Fredericksburg Wednesday thru Saturday. On Thursday we have a tour of Ford's Theatre scheduled at 9:30 am and have to go pick up our tickets for the Swearing In Ceremony at the Dirksen Building. On Friday we will be driving in for the Inuaguration. I have a parking space reserved at the L'Enfant Plaza Garage for both days. My question is when would you recommend we leave the hotel each morning? An estimate of the drive time to the parking garage. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

woodbridge,va
Level Contributor
841 posts
84 reviews
1. Re: Drive time to DC for Inuaguration

I live in Woodbridge, which is right between DC and Fredericksburg ,so on a NORMAL commuting day the travel time is often easily over 1 1/2 hrs. With the added headache of the inauguration, I'm sure it will top over 2 hrs or more each way. Taking the metro may be more helpful but that's going to be a madhouse as well and you'd have to come up anyway to Springfield to catch it. If you are able to, I would really consider trying to change your hotel- maybe to something in Alexandria which would have easier metro access.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
22,551 posts
293 reviews
2. Re: Drive time to DC for Inuaguration

Can't even guess the drive time that week...You might consider looking for alternative accommodations that are not as far... Look at locations that you might be able to use public transportation to & from D.C.

Level Contributor
825 posts
3. Re: Drive time to DC for Inuaguration

Put the WAZE app on your phone today, so you can get used to using it. Waze has helped us get around awful traffic jams in DC area a couple of times when we had to be on interstate 95. It's much better than most GPS, and is not collaborating with Virginia511.org the Virginia DOT site.

Can you reschedule your Ford's Theatre tour for later in the day? If you can drive on a weekday AFTER rush hour, it will be a much quicker and more pleasant drive. (If I leave my Richmond VA area home at 8 am I can drive to downtown DC in 2 hours flat. When 95 is busy, it takes 2 hours to get from home to Fredericksburg! )

Inauguration Day is a Friday, streets will be closed because of the parade and security, etc. I would allow three hours MINIMUM to get to your parking. Hopefully it won't take that long, then you can find a nice place for breakfast.

And layers, dress in layers, wear your warmest long underwear, insulated socks, bring a blanket, etc., between the tall buildings in DC it's like a wind tunnel. Hopefully it won't be too cold. We just had mid-Atlantic snowpocalypse, hopefully it won't snow then. (For snow, add 30 to 60 minutes to driving estimate to account for delays from accidents of all the people who think you can go 70 mph on icy roads)

Be careful and have fun!

Level Contributor
825 posts
4. Re: Drive time to DC for Inuaguration

Waze is NOW collaborating with virginia DOT. couldn't edit above post

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
835 posts
144 reviews
5. Re: Drive time to DC for Inuaguration

Hello. I just read on www.wtop.com(a local all news, weather, and traffic station at 107.7FM) that there are still hotel rooms available in D.C., southern MD, and northern VA which would certainly cut down on drive time for you. If you still plan on staying in the 'Burg and plan on driving, on the 19th try to leave no later than 0715 for your tour of Fords Theater(awesome), or you can take the Virginia Rail Express right into Union Station, which is downtown DC. I don't know if they will be running on the 20th, but if they are that might be an excellent alternative. Go to their website for details and timetables. I can only imagine what the 20th will be like, with all the traffic going into D.C.(at a snails pace) and the massive amount of extra security that will be there. Anyway, I hope this helps, and Good Luck. You are going to need it.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,772 posts
156 reviews
6. Re: Drive time to DC for Inuaguration

earljazz, please do a trip report afterward. I'd love to hear all about this trip!

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
119 posts
7. Re: Drive time to DC for Inuaguration

VRE is running the 20th, using their "S" schedule only.

8. Re: Drive time to DC for Inuaguration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2018, 12:15