We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Civil war history visit.

Level Contributor
19 posts
Civil war history visit.

Hi we are a family of four with two boys aged 9 and 5 travelling Washington to Gatlinburg and on to florida. We would like to learn some US history and are looking at possibly staying in Fredericksburg on the 2nd of July and visiting local sites on the morning of the third.Would this be a good place to start our trip or would anyone suggest another stopover on the way from DC to Gatlinburg.We would be looking to spend 2-3 hours maximum before hitting the road again and any help would be greatly appreciated.We are heading for the Thornton Gap entrance of Skyline drive immediatly afterwards if we decide to visit Fredericksburg.

4 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
22,525 posts
293 reviews
1. Re: Civil war history visit.

You will have more than enough to see in Fredericksburg before heading to SNP / Skyline Drive.

Kesh_grammy

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
15,114 posts
125 reviews
2. Re: Civil war history visit.

While Fredericksburg is a nice town with good Civil War history, it's somewhat out-of-the-way if your are driving to Thornton Gap. Manassas Battlefield NP is on a more direct path to Thornton Gap and you could see it well in 1 - 2 hours. You could then drive to SNP or to Luray for an overnight stay and then on to SNP the next day.

I'm not saying that Fredericksburg is a bad idea (I enjoy it!), but I just wanted to present another option.

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
835 posts
144 reviews
3. Re: Civil war history visit.

Hello. With only 2-3 hours to spend before hitting the road, I would suggest that Manassas battlefield would be the best choice. Although the "Burg is wonderful, 2-3 hours would barely do it or you justice. At Manassas you can see 2 battlefields which are essentially the same ground, and it would be more convenient for your accessing Skyline drive. Do be aware that the speed limit on Skyline drive is much less than 65mph, and it will take you a very long time to get to Gatlinburg. Hope this helps, and enjoy.

Virginia
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Civil war history visit.

You may have found this already. A great site. Page down just a very small bit and you'll see the link to "100s of Civil War Battlefields" which gives descriptions, photos. Great info on the whole site:

https://www.hallowedground.org/

Reply to: Civil war history visit.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted