We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe areas of lodging

York, Pennsylvania...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Safe areas of lodging

Hi everyone!!!

I plan to take a trip to Fredericksburg sometime next month and I am currently looking at hotels to book in the town. I did hear that there were some "sketchy" areas of the town, but I am not sure where they are. I did read on a website that the hotels on the US 17 corridor north of I-95 are quite safe, but the hotels on the US 1 corridor (Exit #126) can be pretty bad (especially north of the interchange). The question I have is simply which areas of town are the safest to lodge in. I certainly do not want to reside for 2 to 3 nights in a "dump."

Thanks for all your help!!!

5 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
23,544 posts
293 reviews
195 helpful votes
1. Re: Safe areas of lodging

Take a look / see near Mary Washington U.

York, Pennsylvania...
Level Contributor
49 posts
2. Re: Safe areas of lodging

I did see that there is a Hyatt there. Seems very safe to me.

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
275 reviews
320 helpful votes
3. Re: Safe areas of lodging

You left out south of Exit 126/Southpointe.

We stay at the Sleep Inn Southpointe and have for several years. Its behind the Comfort Inn/Suites just off 95, rather off the beaten track in the Southpointe commercial area. There are a variety of restaurants near, the visitor center is across the street, and its maybe 10 minutes to "downtown" F'burg.

True, if you go north of 95 from #126 toward town there are several old motels that have re-branded and I wouldn't stay in them either.'

Overall, Fredericksburg is a quaint and enjoyable town, so much so that we continue to consider it as a retirement location.

Enjoy!!

York, Pennsylvania...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4. Re: Safe areas of lodging

You're right. I did leave out Southpoint. Checked hotels down there and the ratings are quite high.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
23,544 posts
293 reviews
195 helpful votes
5. Re: Safe areas of lodging

I was staying very close to the Hyatt this past weekend, zero issues. The nearby Partheone restaurant does wonderful salads. I haven't done a review as yet, however I had a delicious lunch at Renee's Crepes.

Kesh_grammy

Reply to: Safe areas of lodging
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted