We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic route to reading PA

Hampstead, North...
6 posts
Scenic route to reading PA

We would like to take a scenic route to reading PA from Fredericksburg...alternate to I 95. Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,451 posts
175 reviews
1. Re: Scenic route to reading PA

You can take US17 north out of Fredericksburg to US 15. Follow US15 to Harrisburg, PA. From Harrisburg you have several options to continue on to Reading. The PA turnpike I76 intersects with US15 just south of Harrisburg and would be one of the more efficient routes to Reading. If you want to avoid the turnpike tolls, let me know and I can suggest alternate routes.

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
68 posts
2. Re: Scenic route to reading PA

We usually take US 15 to Gettysburg, then 30 east to Lancaster and 222 north to Reading. That's a nice scenic drive, depending on where in Reading you're going. 222 leads you into Shillington and areas to the south and west of the city.

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
276 reviews
3. Re: Scenic route to reading PA

If you take the Rte 15 route you can swing west just a bit and catch Harper's Ferry, Antietam, and Geo. Washington's Potomac canal, then thru Hagerstown and back up to Gettysburg.

York, Pennsylvania...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4. Re: Scenic route to reading PA

I would also take US 17 North to US 15 North to the PA Turnpike. In fact, a friend of mine who lives in Reading has family in Germantown, MD and he always takes 15 to I-270 in Frederick. Just make sure you time your arrival through Frederick and Leesburg right; time it wrong and it could take you an extra hour. Sometimes, this route is even faster than I-95 if there's a major backup or accident in DC. It's fairly free-flowing outside of Leesburg and Frederick.

BTW, that's the way I also plan to take when I head back from my vacation to Fredericksburg next week, but get off US 15 somewhere near Gettysburg (I live about 50 miles SW of Reading in York).

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
68 posts
5. Re: Scenic route to reading PA

15 north of Leesburg until you cross the Potomac River can be slow during evening rush hour (4-7 pm). If you get stuck in traffic there, you can turn in to a number of wineries or breweries to pass the time until the road clears up!

Reply to: Scenic route to reading PA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted