We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

us180 in very late December

austin
Level Contributor
36 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
us180 in very late December

Considering a loop from Texas to Albuquerque, Sedona, Payson, Roosevelt, Globe, Show Low, Springerville, Glenwood, Silver City and back to Texas- or vice versa. It will be just after Christmas so not sure

about road conditions on US180 (don't think we will try Mogollon since it is difficult even in summer). Can you advise on Silver City portion, or even on the Arizona route? Won't decide until last minute, depending on weather on IH40 or elsewhere. I've taken US180 from Silver City to Springerville and US60 back to Socorro, but only in summer or early fall. Thanks

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: us180 in very late December

US 180 is well-maintained and is plowed 24/7. I'm not so sure about US 60-- it's been quite a while since I took that route. You are right to skip Mogollon-- NM 159 is actually closed east of Mogollon from October through April, and the town itself is basically shut for the winter to all except the few year-round residents.

From Silver City to points in Arizona, there are three major routes: 1) NM 90 south from Silver City to I-10 west just outside of Lordsburg, 2) US 180 west (It's called US 180 West even though it's heading north) to NM 78 a mile or so past Buckhorn, or 3) US 180 through Glenwood, Luna and Eagar.

Maybe I'm just a sissy, but I would stick to the Interstates as much as possible, as they are sure to be plowed and patrolled; many of the state highways are not plowed at night or on weekends.

For up-to-the-minute road info (including a special version of the website suitable for smartphones), check http://www.nmroads.com; you can also reach the Road Advisory Hotline by dialing 511 on your cell phone (in NM) or by calling 800-432-4269.

Hope this helps!

austin
Level Contributor
36 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: us180 in very late December

Thanks for your response. I also posted in Arizona forum as well and have lots of info to help with our route. Guess we will just wait to see how the weather is a few days before leaving, but will stay on interstates as much as possible.

Hopefully we don't get a winter storm in west or north Texas that keeps us from even leaving the state.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: us180 in very late December

The thing to keep in mind is that the weather is *very* altitude-dependent; areas with higher altitude will often get more snow, and sometimes will get snow when lower altitudes get rain (or get nothing at all). For example: the nearest town to Silver City, Pinos Altos is only seven miles away-- but in those seven miles you'll go up another 1100 feet, so they sometimes get snow that Silver City misses. What also happens is that snow that falls at night will evaporate in the sunshine of the following day-- but areas in the shade, such as the 'back' side of some mountains, will retain the snow; you can drive through mountains on a dry road, go around a sharp turn and hit a patch of snow a couple of inches deep, then drive 100 yards back into the sunshine and have a dry surface again...but for those 100 yards you'd better slow down.

austin
Level Contributor
36 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: us180 in very late December

Yes, it is the ice that worries me. For many years I would take my children to Silver City and surrounding area while their dad was out elk hunting in the early season. It would be dry on the ranch, which was south of Datil, but often would run into snow going over to Springerville or Mogollon.

I've driven in snow and ice, but would rather not if possible. We rarely get snow west of Austin, but get the occasional ice on the road.

Leaning toward heading to Silver City, Bisbee, Tucson, and maybe as far north as Sedona.

Silver City is a beautiful town. Haven't seen it in 10 years though and I don't think my husband has ever seen it. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,345 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: us180 in very late December

As NM. is having a major storm today keep tuned to the weather channel...carracar

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: us180 in very late December

It's looking ugly out there, but Silver City dodged the worst of it; we got only 2 inches or so overnight, and it's been warm enough today to melt it into a wet-but-passable sloppy mess. It'll be interesting when everything starts to freeze again. See:

https://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/snowst…

austin
Level Contributor
36 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: us180 in very late December

Thanks for the reports. We are starting to think San Antonio and the Riverwalk might be a better idea for next week, although a few years ago we couldn't even get down there due to ice.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: us180 in very late December

if you've been following the news the past couple of days, you probably heard that we were dumped on bigtime with snow forcing closure of US 180 and I 10. Fortunately for us, conditions improved quickly and things are just about back to normal. This is more snow than we usually see in December.

9. Re: us180 in very late December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2018, 13:15