We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where does one stay?

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
614 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Where does one stay?

I have always got good advice from this forum so here goes:

This is all in the planning stage at the moment, nothing set in stone. The idea is to stay in Silver City for possibly 2 nights to take in the GIla cliff dwellings (no time last year) and just browse around. From there up to Zuni peublo, possible stay at the Inn at Halona. Stop off to see the Catwalk en-route and would love to see the very large array too. Not too bothered about a guided tour as that should be way over my head! Problem is where to stay overnight in between the 2 as a 4 hour drive is our daily maximum. Impossible to see the sights, scenery and drive for hours at the same time as we do like to take our time. Have not visited the area straight up from Silver City to Gallup before although we did drive the I25 up to Albuquerque last year.

Where can we stay overnight as the area looks very isolated. How about Eagar?

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

8 replies to this topic
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where does one stay?

There's not a lot between Silver City and Gallup. In Glenwood, which is fairly close to Silver City, there is the Los Olmos Guest Ranch.

In the Reserve area, there is Frisco Lodging and Hidden Springs Inn.

In Quemado there is Largo Motel, Alegre Motel and Apts. and Kabin Fever.

Don't know anything about any of these places, so it might be hit and miss .

I think you might find more lodging availability in the Alpine-Eager area, but going that way is further, as you have to back-track on I-40 to Gallup.

I would recommend going on NM32 just outside Reserve, and then NM 36 from Quemado to Fence Lake, Black Rock/Zuni and Gallup.

Much more direct, really pretty country, and last time I was in the area, the state roads were good.

Las Cruces
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where does one stay?

It is pretty mountainous and desolate between Silver City and Gallup. You need to keep an eye on your gas when driving in that area. Make sure you fill up when you get a chance! I'm not too familiar with what you will find with lodging around Zuni Pueblo.

North of the Catwalk, you might find lodging in Reserve, NM. I've generally camped when I've been in that area, but I believe there are a couple small motels in Reserve. You should be able to find something in Springerville, AZ. I've never stayed there myself, but as I recall it was a large enough town to have several choices for lodging. You might try the Arizona forum for that.

If you are going out to the VLA, your best bet would be to continue on to Socorro, NM if you can't find anything in Magdelena, NM.

Las Cruces
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where does one stay?

I should add that you can rent cabins at Lake Roberts which is pretty close to the Cliff Dwellings.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
614 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where does one stay?

Thanks everyone very much.

All very good sensible replies, just what I needed. To be honest this trip may need a re-think more the pity as this area is one we have not thought about visiting before. Still in the planning stage so who knows what we might come up with between now and September when we intend to visit.

Thanks again, more research needed from me!

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where does one stay?

Actually, Lake Roberts is a little more than half-way to the Cliff Dwellings, but is certainly a possibility for lodging.

I think before you go much further with your planning, you should get out a map of New Mexico and look it over carefully. New Mexico is the fifth-largest of the 50 states, and it often takes a long time to drive from point A to point B, with little in the way of food, lodging and/or fuel in between them. For example:

1. The Gila Cliff Dwellings are only 44 miles from Silver City, but it will take approx. 2 hours to drive there, and another 2 hours back over twisty mountain roads. There is only one road to/from the Cliff Dwellings (NM 15) and you will have no choice but to double back at least part of the way (to NM 35) to go anywhere else after leaving the Cliff Dwellings.

2. From Silver City to Glenwood is 1 hour; from Glenwood to Zuni is another 4 hours or so...and add another hour to get from Zuni to Gallup.

3. From Gallup, it will take you at least 4 hours to get to the Very Large Array, and you'd need to drive an hour or so to get to Socorro, which will have much more choices in lodging, food and fuel than Magdalena.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
614 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where does one stay?

I think maybe I could have phrased my query a bit better!

The idea so far is to stay in Silver City for 2 nights so our second day can be devoted to visting the Gila cliff dwellings and would include the 2 hour journey back and forth. Would be very interested in staying at the Inn at Haloma maybe a couple of nights from Silver City to look around the area including El Malpais, so that would be our next port of call via the Catwalk on the way. As it seems more then a 4 hour drive between the 2 hence my query about where to stay. From the Zuni pueblo we would then go up to Gallup and on. Seeing the very large array would be a bonus but not a neccessity if it means going miles out of our way.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where does one stay?

I have been 2 nights at Murray Hotel and found it nice, while no ritz it is very nice and was a welcome site when you compare the alternatives.

In fact I came back the second night because I found the urge to stay in the area after doing the cliff dwellings which is why you came anyway

Don't bother looking for 5-4 star so just kick back and enjoy this very clean hotel as your home base

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
614 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where does one stay?

Thanks for the update but post was 2 years ago and to be frank I can not remember where we ended up! Old age for you!

Reply to: Where does one stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted