We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best drive departing Silver City

Effie, Minnesota
2 posts
Save Topic
Best drive departing Silver City

We are planning a 4 day road trip in early March heading south from Phoenix which includes a stop over in Silver City. When we depart Silver City what is a more scenic drive at this time of year? Both the hwy 180 drive north or scenic 152 east both sound fantastic.

5 replies to this topic
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best drive departing Silver City

Where do you want to end up when you leave Silver City? The two roads go in opposite directions.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,345 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best drive departing Silver City

That would be the 152...But ONLY, if you are comfortable driving mountain roads in winter conditions...carracar

Effie, Minnesota
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best drive departing Silver City

Ultimately we're heading north or northeast to I-40, then west to Flagstaff. I had read hwy 152 was very nice but the drive up hwy 180 from the maps I find looks very scenic as well.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best drive departing Silver City

Higway 152 is quite nice and there is at least one historic town along the way. I have been on 180 but don't remember it. If you go that way and go north on I25 there are some interesting places--Truth or Consequences, Bosque del Apache wildlife refuge, Camino Real International Heritage Center, the little of town of San Antonio--noted for green chile cheeseburgers. Going west on I40 you will find El Malpais National Monument, El Moro National Monument (if you get off the interstate), Acoma Pueblo and Sky City, Zuni Pueblo, Gallup with some Route 66 sites and trading posts, Petrified Forest National Park, Meteor Crater to name a few places. But it will be a much longer drive than going 180.

John

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best drive departing Silver City

NM-152 is a gorgeous drive, one of my favorites, but you must be certain that the road is free of snow and/or ice. It is quite possible to drive there in sunshine and dry pavement, go around a curve into the shadow of the mountains and find a patch of snow or black ice...and the road will be clear again 100 ft. further along. The best way to find out the current road conditions is to check out http://www.nmroads.com or call 800-432-4269. I would also avoid NM-152 after dark; there are lots of deer and other critters (and the occasional cow) that you might suddenly encounter in your path.

The alternative to NM-152 to is to take US-180 to NM-26 (just west of Deming). This will connect you to I-25 at Hatch. The travel time is about the same as NM-152, but the distance is actually about 50 miles longer.

Reply to: Best drive departing Silver City
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted