We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Questions

Planning a trip to Silver City for a two-nite stay in mid-September. Thinking about staying at Bear Mountain Lodge, but then that would mean doubling-back into Silver City for breakfast prior to heading to the Gila Cliff Dwellings. We don't want to fix our own breakfast, and it does not appear that there are any restaurants open for breakfast in Pinos Altos. How much time does it take to get back-and-forth from Bear Creek Lodge to Silver City?

Maybe we should just stay in Silver City so that we don't have to double-back for breakfast?

Also wondering if there is any place to eat at or near the Gila Cliff Dwellings, or should we take a picnic lunch (which would also mean that we would need to get lunch supplies in Silver City).

Bear Mountain Lodge looks nice, but I just don't know about going back-and-forth.

Also considering staying at Lake Roberts, but it also looks "iffy" for eating breakfast and for getting lunch supplies. Any thoughts about Lake Roberts?

9 replies to this topic
Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions

Mid-September is a excellent time to visit Silver City, and the Bear Mountain Lodge is a great place to stay. Among other features, there are hiking/birding trails that literally begin right out the back door of the Lodge.

The "doubling-back" is not really much of an issue. First, because the Bear Mountain Lodge is only about 3 to 4 miles outside the city limits, second, because there is no reasonable way to get from The Bear Mountain Lodge to the road leading to the Cliff Dwellings without heading into town. Bear Mountain Lodge has a restaurant on the premises; you may want to check with them about breakfast as well as whether they can pack you a picnic lunch.

There are also plenty of breakfast (and picnic lunch) options within Silver City; be advised that once you pass through Pinos Altos (7 mi. north of Silver City) on the way to the Cliff Dwellings via NM-15, there is no food or gas available until you reach the trading post at Gila Hot Springs, which is about 6 mi. from the Cliff Dwellings. Keep in mind that, though the distance between Silver City and the Cliff Dwellings is only 44 mi., it will take two hours to travel between those two points.

Lake Roberts is pretty nice, but somewhat limited as to groceries, etc.

I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me for more answers and details.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions

Oops! Too many bears! I actually meant the Bear CREEK Lodge and Cabins. Now I think you can see what I meant with the "doubling back" comment. Or should we just stay in Silver City.

Do you think that the Trading Post in Gila Springs would have sandwiches for lunch, or should we pack a picnic lunch out of Silver City?

Yes, it did appear that the potential for breakfast and picnic items was limited in Lake Roberts, so I had basically crossed that off my list. We do not care to cook our own food while on vacation.

Thanx for your feedback.....

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions

P.S. I was really disappointed to learn about the Catwalk. I'll bet that was a pretty hike. I don't suppose that it will ever be restored, eh.

Headed out to T&C next. Is there anything to do between Silver City and T&C or around T&C that you can recommend? Our plan is to stay at Riverbend.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions

Funny-- I was going to mention Bear Creek Cabins just to make sure that there was no misunderstanding; looks like I was right. :)

Bear Creek Cabins is where my wife and I stayed the first time we came to the area. The cabins are comfortable, some have kitchen facilities... but Pinos Altos is about 15-20 minutes from Silver City, and you *would* want to turn around and go back through Pinos Altos after being in Silver City.

The trading post at Gila Hot Springs has some pretty rudimentary food choices available: microwave sandwiches, cans of Dinty Moore, etc.-- the sort of things campers buy.

Don't give up on the Catwalk. Word is that at least part of it will be restored by this April.

I don't have too many suggestions for T or C other than Riverbend, which you already know about. The drive between Silver City and T or C on NM-152 is beautiful, provided you don't mind twisty-turny roads. During the two-hour trip between Silver and T or C, you will pass through two tiny towns: Kingston and Hillsboro.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions

Your thoughts on restaurants in Silver City, please. Best Mexican restaurants? Best breakfast? Any other recommendations?

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions

Choosing the best Mexican restaurant can be a tricky proposition because your mileage may vary: some folks can tolerate and enjoy spicier stuff than others. A safe choice is the Jalisco Cafe; they are used to serving out-of-town visitors and will warn you about the hotter menu choices. Another complication is that I find that almost all of the Mexican restaurants in town have one or more items that they do better than the rest, so there is no clear winner. I especially enjoy Mi Casita, but you will need good directions (or a local resident) to guide you there.

Breakfast is another opportunity to rub elbows with the locals. The Drifter is located in an old motel complex, and the decor hasn't been updated in at least 40 years, but the food is competently prepared and not greasy. It may have the usual breakfast choices, but they will be tasty. The Kountry Kitchen is another primarily breakfast/lunch place much beloved by locals; they have just moved to a new location, but I expect the food will still be just as good.

Silver City is more than just fast-food or low-end fare: the restaurant scene here was featured in the NY Times last September. For a town of our size, we've got a pretty large number of better-than-average restaurants.

Minot, North Dakota
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions

Mitch, I just found your reply to an old post saying that Margie's Grinder Mill in Santa Clara is no more. Do you know if the M & A (probably officially the Mexican and American Cafe) in Bayard is still open? Introducing a Canadian friend to green chile stew there--or at least the expression on his face when I did that--is one of my favorite memories of living in the area.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions

To the best of my knowledge, M&A is still open for business. I'll know more tonight, when one of my employees (who used to work there) comes in.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions

OK, the answer is: definitely maybe. Nobody has heard that they are closed, but nobody has been there lately. Stay tuned...

Reply to: Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted