We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayak in Page in early November

1 post
1 review
Kayak in Page in early November

I am traveling to Page the first weekend in November (2nd and 3rd) and had my heart set on Kayaking through Antelope Canyon. However, I can't find any tour company that is open past October 31st. I believe I can rent a kayak and go on my own, but I am not sure how easy it is to navigate or if the water is to upstream to make a loop? Any suggestions are appreciated!!!

6 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,886 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Kayak in Page in early November

The reason that you aren't finding companies that offer kayaking trips after October 31 is that the weather is generally unfavorable to being out on Lake Powell.

I think that you may be confused about Antelope Canyon. There are two Antelope Canyons - land side tour to either Upper or Lower Antelope Canyon is on dry land. There is no river. The other Antelope Canyon is on Lake Powell and is miles from the land side Antelope Canyon.

To get to the water side of Antelope Canyon, requires putting in on Lake Powell at one of the marinas near Page and then paddling for about 8 miles, one way, to get to the mouth of Antelope Canyon. You do not paddle through it as it is a dead end canyon on Lake Powell, not a river.

Your plan to rent a kayak and do the trip on your own is a bad idea. There will be very little boat traffic on Lake Powell in November. If you have a problem, get lost or similar issue, you will be on your own with no way to get help.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
158 reviews
2. Re: Kayak in Page in early November

In late October/early November, daytime temperatures on the lake are starting to get really cold, and windy. Some of the worst conditions I've encountered on Lake Powell have been at that time of year. Not ideal conditions for kayaking. What's more, you can't "make a loop" (if I'm interpreting you correctly) from the waterside of Antelope Canyon to the land side.

The really "iconic" slot canyon scenery in Antelope Canyon is on the land side. There are many branches of one drainage, but Upper and Lower Antelope are the two most famous. If you're OK w/climbing some stairs and stepping over a few boulders, you'll be fine in Lower, or even Antelope Canyon X. If anyone in your party has mobility issues or can't walk long distances, go with Upper. https:/…

If you still want to see the water side of Antelope Canyon -- which is worthwhile for helping one to appreciate its true complexity -- Antelope Point Marina still runs boat tours into November. These may be contingent on favorable weather, plus a certain number of passengers traveling. https:/…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
3. Re: Kayak in Page in early November

You'll find people on tripadvisor will dissuade people from doing pretty much anything.. I kayaked Antelope canyon November 4th a couple years ago, it was a piece of cake.

Have you kayaked before? You know how to do it? Not tip? You're comfortable on the water? If so then this is easy peasy.

You'll rent the kayaks, they'll strap them on your car or give you a trailer if you have a hitch. You put them in at the marina and off you go. It's real simple, turn left around the bend and then the canyon will be on your left, can't miss it. Kayak to the end, then you can walk in the canyon for a half hour or so until you reach a wall and can't continue. It's a nice walk, come back, paddle back. Whole thing won't take more than a couple hours. On November 4th we saw 3-4 tour boats on the water but had the land portion of the canyon to ourselves. It was overcast and chilly.

But keep in mind the land portion while it's a slot canyon, is absolutely nothing like the "antelope canyon" you see in photos, for that section of the canyon you have to take a guided tour on land.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,351 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Kayak in Page in early November

I haven't done the paddle but have heard from other paddlers that it's easy, as paddles go. Just wait until you get there to see what the conditions are before you commit.

Also, you can probably arrange a private tour if you really want a guide. It will cost more unless you're going with a ready-made group.

I'm a big fan of visiting the GC area in early November (or late March). I may have been lucky, but my experience weather-wise has been great.

Edited: 05 July 2018, 09:15
Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Kayak in Page in early November

Some of our group did this on the TA Meet Up in early Oct.

Having just seen the pics, it's one i'll definitely do next time out (not this yr).

Looks awesome, even without a guide if you want beauty and solitude in the same sentence.

6. Re: Kayak in Page in early November

We will be there as well the same weekend and looking to complete the same trip! Renting our own Kayaks and hoping for favorable weather.

Reply to: Kayak in Page in early November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted