We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 3 Nights in Page

BRONXVILLE
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
Planning 3 Nights in Page

I'm just completing the most splendid week in Utah, split between Moab and Capitol Reef, thanks to advice I've read here. Now I'm continuing my planning for next Spring in Arizona.

I'm trying to configure four activities in Page over a three-night visit.

Reservations made already at the Courtyard Page at Lake Powell.

Traveling north from Flagstaff on May 19th, with a brief stop planned at Cameron Trading post, to look at Native American jewelry, as I'm an avid collector.

Sleep in Page on the 19th.

Full day in Page on May 20th, sleeping there.

Full day in Page on May 21st, sleeping there.

May 22nd, depart page for Monument Valley. (Yes, reservations already made for 2 nights at The View.)

I'd like to do the usual, and here's my order of priority, if I can't do it all:

1. Upper Antelope Canyon tour

2. Full-day Rainbow Bridge Tour

3. View of Horseshoe Bend

4. Half-day float trip

5. Glen Canyon dam tour

What also might help: Where are these activities located in the vicinity of Page, such that I could distribute them sensibly over my two full days and two partial days?

Thanks for your time and advice.

15 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
68,271 posts
250 reviews
250 helpful votes
1. Re: Planning 3 Nights in Page

Try to arrive Page early enough to do either Antelope Canyon or Horseshoe Bend on that first day. You’ll need the entire next day for Rainbow Bridge. Then do the raft on the following day along the Dam tour. You’ll have time for one more “something” before you head out to Monument Valley.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
22,124 posts
42 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Planning 3 Nights in Page

Use one of your full days in Page to go to,Rainbow Bridge. Use the other full,day for the Colorado River float. Book your Antelope Canyon tour for,the morning to go to Monument Valley. Stop,by Horseshoe Bend on your way to Page from the Grand Canyon. Depending non what time you arrive in Page, you may have time for a tour of Glen Canyon Dam. Or you may have time for a tour after your Rainbow Bridge trip or the float trip. But at the least, you can stop by the Dam and walk out on the pedestrian bridge for a photo op.

BRONXVILLE
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Planning 3 Nights in Page

Thanks for these suggestions. Sounds like days on the water will take the most time. But we need them, as that seems to be the point of visiting Page. Even more than most communities built in the desert, Page is all about water. Page would be nothing without the presence of water and what it's done to the land.

I do hope we have enough time for a full tour of the Glenn Canyon Dam (a word that I find hard to spell -- I keep warning to add an "n" after the "m" ;-). I was surprised at how interesting I found the inner workings & construction story surrounding the Hoover Dam. I expect the Glenn Canyon Dam to be at least as interesting, having read Edward Abbey's "Desert Solitaire" earlier this year. He did not want to see that dam built and he did a fantastic float trip through the Canyon and wrote its eulogy in his book before it was flooded.

Connie B, we'll be coming from Flagstaff, rather than the Grand Canyon, which we visited in October 2017 in conjunction with several days in Sedona.

On our last trip through Flagstaff, we stopped at the Riordan Mansion on the way to the Grand Canyon, and after departure, we did Wupatki and Sunset Crater -- backward from what's usually done. But I felt we had missed out on some interesting sights.

This time in Flagstaff we'll visit the Museum of Northern Arizona and Walnut Canyon. This will happen on the day before we head up to Page, which is why we're overnighting in Flagstaff.

Our circle in the Spring will be a Phoenix arrival, Flagstaff, Page, Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly, Winslow, then Phoenix departure.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Planning 3 Nights in Page

Add in a visit to lonely rock beach. It is not far outside of page and was gorgeous. My group preferred the views to lake Powell. Doesn't take long to stop and walk to the shore but well worth it. We did horseshoe bend then lake Powell then lonely rock all in that order.

Edited: 19 November 2018, 17:39
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
22,124 posts
42 reviews
11 helpful votes
5. Re: Planning 3 Nights in Page

@Rommel, the OP doesn't have time to go to Lone Rock Beach. She has a full schedule as it is.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,428 posts
158 reviews
110 helpful votes
6. Re: Planning 3 Nights in Page

Agree with RedRox and Connie B that your trip plan warrants careful scheduling and crossing fingers and toes that no wrenches get thrown into the mix, but it can work.

As RedRox suggests, get an early start out of Flagstaff on 5/19 so you can do Horseshoe Bend and your Antelope Canyon tour on your arrival day. It typically takes ~2.5 hours to drive from Flag to Page, but that's wheels turning, no stops, which rarely happens. It's a very scenic drive, plus you plan to stop at the Cameron Trading Post anyway. You might make that your "brunch" stop and have a Navajo taco with an egg on top in the restaurant. Unless you're really hungry, get the 'mini,' or else get the regular and snack on the leftovers later on, provided you have a cooler and/or mini-fridge in your room.

Book your Antelope Canyon tour ASAP, I've heard that some 2019 dates are already selling out. If you find that to be the case, consider touring one of several "alternate" slot canyons that are just as beautiful, but a lot less crowded. https:/…

If you can, hit Horseshoe Bend on your way into Page. It's just South of town, so it will be right on your way to the Marriott property. However... be aware that this summer, parking turned into a royal cluster, and while plans have been made to expand the parking lot, that may be a case of "too littler, too late." Give this a read for other ideas on how to include it in your itinerary if the parking situation doesn't cooperate https:/… Another possibility would be to hit it right after sunrise on your Monument Valley day.

On one of your full days, you could take the AM departure of the float trip, which would require a 6:00 AM check-in and wrap up by noon. Do your Glen Canyon Dam tour that afternoon, allowing at least 30 minutes to get from the Wilderness River Adventures office to the Carl Hayden Visitors Center. At the time of year you're traveling, tours are scheduled every half hour: 8:30 AM to 10:30 AM, then 12:30 PM to 4:00 PM. You can reserve spots on a tour in person only at Carl Hayden Visitor Center up to 24 hours in advance. They don't take reservations by phone.

On the day you do your Rainbow Bridge Boat Tour, you should leave the rest of that afternoon completely open. Depending on the water level in Lake Powell, this activity could take you anywhere from 6-8 hours. Time and daylength permitting, you might pop over to Lone Rock Beach, or perhaps take a hike to the "New" Wave just outside the South entrance gate of Glen Canyon NRA, but consider those as "bonus" activities and not absolute necessities. You might be "sun drunk" (stole that from Connie B LOL) after your boat tour and want to do nothing but sleep.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited: 20 November 2018, 14:57
BRONXVILLE
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Planning 3 Nights in Page

I do appreciate this advice -- and I'm grateful for your work on this itinerary, K-Bot, as your posts on Page have been invaluable for my research!

I'll make the slot canyon tour reservation **today** during a break at work. I have some other reservations to make, also, for other parts of this trip.

I think we'll plan to do Horseshoe Bend on our way to Page, because our arrival day, May 19th, is a Sunday, which I imagine will make the parking lot even crazier than usual. Our departure date, May 22nd, is a Wednesday. We'll try on arrival but I'll understand if we can't and accept that we'll have another opportunity.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
68,271 posts
250 reviews
250 helpful votes
8. Re: Planning 3 Nights in Page

Plan plans. Results will happen.

You’re doing well to make the precise plan well in advance. Refer to it as you travel. But allow yourself some flexibility for unexpected moments.

BRONXVILLE
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Planning 3 Nights in Page

A heads-up for anyone following here to inform their own planning. ... not to frighten you, but if you think I am planning too far ahead, I'm not! I just discovered that the 3:30 pm Upper Antelope tour from one provider that I checked with has already sold out for Sunday, May 19th.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,428 posts
158 reviews
110 helpful votes
10. Re: Planning 3 Nights in Page

"Plan plans. Results will happen." Priceless, RedRox!

As for AC tours being sold out for May '19, I'm not surprised to hear that at all. https:/…

Reply to: Planning 3 Nights in Page
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted