We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dry county?

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
dry county?

This may seem like a strange question but one that I would like to ask..........is the gatlinburg/pigeon forge areas "dry", meaning alcohol free?

We are planning a trip here in july and we like to "imbibe".....we don't have any "dry" spots here in Canada........

Thx

Mississippi
Level Contributor
268 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dry county?

Sevier County is a dry county, but the city of Gatlinburg is wet. You order drinks in the restaurants there.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dry county?

This may seem like a strange question also.....what is "imbibe"?

This coming from a non-drinker

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dry county?

JMH,

Imbibe means "to consume by drinking", but it also sort of implies that the drink is alcoholic.

Cindy

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
38,713 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dry county?

You can order beer and wine in a few select restaurants in Pigeon Forge and Sevierville, but there are no alcohol sales of liquor. Don't really know if the supermarkets sell beer or wine either.

In Gatlinburg, there are liquor stores and you can buy any kind of alcohol in the restaurants that have license to sell. Outside of Gatlinburg, however, you'd have to travel to Knoxville. Also, because of the limited supply, the prices of the liquor stores in Gatlinburg are outrageous.

pekin IL
Level Contributor
499 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dry county?

When we were there last June, we had beers at Bennett's, TGIFridays, and the Chop House, all in PF/Sevierville.....

No dry areas in Canada??? My kind of country.......

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dry county?

I have always had drinks on the deck of my cabin. And there are several places to get drinks in gatlinburg as well. So no worries there!

The Park Grill has the best watermelon margarita!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
268 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dry county?

Yeah, another vote for the watermelon margarita at the Park Grill. Not that I would know, but my wife loves it.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
268 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dry county?

By the way, finally figured this out.

In Pigeon Forge, you can't buy liquor, but you can buy beer in restaurants, grocery stores, and gas stations. That's how a local town here has it set up too.

In Gatlinburg, you can buy beer and liquor seven days a week until 1 AM in any restaurant, grocery store, or gas station, or anywhere else it's sold.

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dry county?

Got to love our small towns in Mississippi. I grew up in one that was like that as well!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dry county?

True, perhaps there are no dry areas in Canada....BUT in Ontario you can't buy beer, wine or liquor in grocery stores, drug stores or corner liquor marts (they don't exist) No , you buy liquor and wine at the government LCBO store (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) and you buy Beer at the Government Beer store. The controls are there...just in another form.