We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute advice for 1st timer MardiGras/ 5th time NOLA

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
820 posts
46 reviews
Last minute advice for 1st timer MardiGras/ 5th time NOLA

Hi everyone,

VERY EXCITED!! This will be my 5th time to New Orleans, but my first time to Mardi Gras. I thought since I have already done touristy things, I would just go with the flow. Not really sure what to expect. Just want to enjoy and have fun. Any suggestions for me? I have all my dinner reservations booked for all nights. Staying at the Ritz Carlton and arriving very late around midnight on Feb. 14th so I hope I do not have a problem getting to hotel by cab. We leave early Wednesday morn around 830am so I assume that won't be a problem getting back to airport.

Thanks in advance, Deb

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
620 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Last minute advice for 1st timer MardiGras/ 5th time NOLA

You will be fine with your arrival time but you will be missing one of the very best parades, Endymion, that will be passing right in front of your hotel. It should be passing there from about 7:00 to about 9:00, then the street cleaners usually come in. Canal St. will open back up after the street cleaning (uses many huge machines so doesn't take hours).

You will be fine Wed. morning.

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
820 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Last minute advice for 1st timer MardiGras/ 5th time NOLA

Due to owning a retail store I couldn't leave until Saturday night on VD. Oh well. I now have to hope I get out of NY due to snow :( Thanks for the info!

baltimore MD
Level Contributor
268 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Last minute advice for 1st timer MardiGras/ 5th time NOLA

going to have a great time. for the night parades (Bacchus, Orpheus) I wouldn't watch on Canal St. I like to go further down after the turn onto Tchoupitoulas St. 4 blocks or so the crowd thins out a lot and there are no barricades between u and the floats. have fun!

chicago
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
53 reviews
4. Re: Last minute advice for 1st timer MardiGras/ 5th time NOLA

Going with the flow is the best plan. You've been to New Orleans, so you don't need to feel like you need to do anything touristy. Stay in the Quarter and make the most of what's there so you don't waste time sitting around in traffic.

I like to go with little plan and just wander. There are always cool street performers on Royal and around Jackson Square. The French Market has performances throughout the day and a fantastic artist's market set up at the perimeter.

I prefer Bourbon in the afternoon. Crowds are younger and therefore a bit more "amateur" at night. Day drinkers tend to be chatty and fun.

Personally, I don't like formal dinner reservations every night. You miss too much while sitting in one place. So unless you're a foodie, you may want to leave your schedule a little more loose.

5. Re: Last minute advice for 1st timer MardiGras/ 5th time NOLA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2016, 00:16