We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hospital & Emergency Room

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
818 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hospital & Emergency Room

I am leaving for New Orleans tomorrow. I was supposed to stay 2 nights and then go on a cruise to Mexico. I have a sensitive situation with my eye and a slight chance it will turn into a torn retina. We canceled the cruise because I feel more comfortable staying in the US if something like this should happen. I want to be prepared ahead and can anyone provide info of a good hospital that specializes in eye surgery that has an emergency room. If something happens I would need to get surgery immediately. I rather not cancel by trip, since most likely I would be fine. I just want to be prepared knowing where is the best place to go.

I thank any locals who can help me with this!

Thanks,

Deb

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hospital & Emergency Room

If you're in the French Quarter or downtown areas, both Tulane Medical Center and the brand new (LSU) University Medical Center will be good options. University's ER is state of the art.

Personally, my hospital of choice is Ochsner, particularly the main campus in Jefferson. It's a bit farther but would probably be considered my many locals to be the "best" hospital.

Edited: 04 December 2015, 09:14
Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
818 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hospital & Emergency Room

Thank you so much. I did read about Ochsner Medical Center and that there are Ophthalmologist associated with that hospital. I will keep this info handy while traveling. The bad news I had the cancel the cruise the good news is I am staying at least 6 nights instead of 2 in NOLA!

Deb

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,220 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hospital & Emergency Room

I would also use Ochsner, even with the distance involved.

Though as stated, both Tulane and LSU are just a mile, or so, away from.

Sorry about the eye issue, and hope for the best,

Hunt

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
818 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hospital & Emergency Room

Thank you!

Deb

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hospital & Emergency Room

For emergency care, the Emergency Dept. at the newly-opened Univ. Med. Ctr. at Canal & Galvez is the successor to the famed Charity Hospital ER, where legions of emergency medicine residents have come from all over the country to train. As a teaching hospital and Level I trauma center, UMC's ED has MD's for all specialities (including Ophthalmology) on-call in-house 24/7/365 with fully-staffed OR's at the ready. While emergency care at UMC is very good (particularly trauma), care on the floors is another issue. For general elective hospital care, I'd also recommend Ochsner (main campus on Jefferson Hwy. in Jefferson) as well as East Jefferson General Hospital in Metairie. As a physician who's been on staff at all the major hospitals in town over the years, those are the places I choose for myself and family. Sadly, despite being an alumnus and being on clinical faculty, I do not recommend Tulane for either emergency or hospital care.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,749 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hospital & Emergency Room

Ochsner has been our provider and we were pleased.

7. Re: Best Hospital & Emergency Room

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2016, 00:17