We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich to St Anton 2019 Schedule

New York, New York
Level Contributor
64 posts
57 reviews
Zurich to St Anton 2019 Schedule

Our group of 6 have planned a late Jan 2019 holiday to St Anton. I checked with oebb and it looks like the 2019 schedule still haven't been released yet. Does anyone know when it will be released? Based on what I have read, I can just book our tickets at Zurich airport to St Anton when I arrive. Is this accurate, and where in the airport is the ticket counter?

thanks

mike

13 replies to this topic
Vienna
Level Contributor
6,654 posts
72 reviews
1. Re: Zurich to St Anton 2019 Schedule

You can book online before you travel as well. There is no need to book now. Check two months before.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,689 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Zurich to St Anton 2019 Schedule

The rail timetable 2019, whose beginning will be in the middle of December 2018 though, will be released in fall, so check again in late October or at the beginning of November.

www.oebb.at/en

It is not necessary to buy tickets in advance, just be aware that you have to pay the full fare, if you buy at the train station just before you go.

Edited: 31 August 2018, 14:41
New York, New York
Level Contributor
64 posts
57 reviews
3. Re: Zurich to St Anton 2019 Schedule

thanks all. giving the possibility of flight delays, i'll just purchase the ticket on arrival but book the discounted ticket for the return fare.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
593 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Zurich to St Anton 2019 Schedule

No, you should definitely not wait until arrival at Zürich, because tickets will be horrendously expensive, also because the Swiss will make it even more expensive.

Check in october/november as mentioned, to get the tickets really cheap

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,689 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Zurich to St Anton 2019 Schedule

@ Michael K

Yes, this sounds most practicable.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
593 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Zurich to St Anton 2019 Schedule

We did it the suggested way two years ago and ended up paying 75 euro per ticket, 2nd class, one way.

This year we did it online and payed 19 euro per ticket....

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,689 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: Zurich to St Anton 2019 Schedule

If you miss your train, then you pay 19€ + 75€.

It is necessary to assess the risks involved and the comfort & convenience wanted. If you want to save on the ticket price, then you should at least plan some reserve time between the scheduled arrival time of the plane and the scheduled departure time of the train, to cover for possible delays.

But if the flight arrives on time or even early, then you have to kill time, what some travelers do not like. And because of that they are willing to pay more in order to get to their destination as quickly as possible.

Personally, I would buy in advance, because I am willing to accept some "discomfort" for a lower price.

Edited: 02 September 2018, 02:48
New York, New York
Level Contributor
64 posts
57 reviews
8. Re: Zurich to St Anton 2019 Schedule

So the schedule is out for the Jan 2019 dates. My flight arrives in Zurich at 11:40. The 14:40 train from Zurich HB looks to be the most logical choice. Its 19 Euro if I buy now or 50 Euro for the flexible ticket. There are 6 of us, so I am inclined to purchase the tickets prior to arrival for the discounted fair and hope for the best.

Are the tickets to/from the airport to Zurich HB for specific times? Or are they general tickets for the next available train? I will probably want to buy the tickets back to the airport from Zurich HB ahead of time.

Anyone try the 1st class upgrade (+10E) or Business (+25E)? Is it worth it?

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
593 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Zurich to St Anton 2019 Schedule

Sounds good! Plenty of time I would think.

We did not buy the Airport-HB tickets in advance. You can easily buy these at the airport at the ticket machines.

There are many trains Airport-HB, this gives a bit more flexibility. Airport has some nice lunch options. So does HB (historic station), but a bit of a struggle with luggage.

We did not very much like the look of business-class. Not worth it anyway.

1st class is not that much luxurious than 2nd, but it is quieter, and hence maybe not very suited to a group of 6 talking.

I think 2nd class will be fine for you. Railjet is a fairly new train, functional/modern design, pleasant seating. No "plush".

The only reason you might like 1st class is the at your seat restaurant service. But we found this to be a bit erratic when train is busy. You can just as easy walk to the restaurant/bar carriage.

Edited: 19 September 2018, 06:27
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,689 posts
29 reviews
10. Re: Zurich to St Anton 2019 Schedule

A transition time of three hours certainly is very sufficient, usual delays can be easily covered with that amount of time.

The use of local trains that "feed" to national and international express trains normally is more flexible, meaning you may also use earler trains than the one that has been selected during booking.

Reply to: Zurich to St Anton 2019 Schedule
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Anton am Arlberg