We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ironman october 2018

Bendigo
Level Contributor
968 posts
3 reviews
ironman october 2018

We are feeling great sympathy for all the residents impacted by the volcano, lava flows and vog. Coming from australia again this year (October) for the Ironman competition and wondering if we need to reconsider - although everything (plane/accommodation etc) booked.

10 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
1. Re: ironman october 2018

Nah, I wouldn’t. I mean to be honest, this wouldn’t be the first time an Ironman had terrible vog. We’ll all cross our fingers that things improve and you (and the athletes) get lucky with the winds that week. I mean, if they’re refundable, I’d consider moving accomodation to the Kohala Coast for some of the time (are you atheletes or just spectators?)

Edited: 13 May 2018, 03:55
Bendigo
Level Contributor
968 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: ironman october 2018

Thankyou for your response. This year we (3) are volunteers, have our flights/accommodation/ironman tasks verified and can't wait to be part of this amazing event. Maybe we just wait a little longer but watching the news here in Australia there was another lava flow over night. Feel for the organisers of the Ironman - there are thousands of us waiting on news and at the same time, feeling for the people who actually live on the Island and the interruption to their lives. Makes my question seem a bit rude and selfish - not meant to be I assure you....

3. Re: ironman october 2018

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2018, 14:33

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,027 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: ironman october 2018

I sympathize with the difficulty of uncertainty. I think though that it’s too early in this eruption to make a call on how it’s likely to be in October. If everything on your end is already pulled together, I’d just let it ride.

Events that have happened so far would not affect the IM, as Shea said, other than vog, which isn’t knew. The activity from the volcano is very far away on the island from all the race activities.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: ironman october 2018

It would be nice to see some details published on line by the organisers, about Kona Ironman spectators like us who will be coming from NZ to see our son race. It all costs big dollars to come! We are staying out at Keahou.Can we drive our rental car and park near the finishing area? Which roads are completely closed? Are there any "shuttles"? At present we read that it's virtually impossible to get near the finish line.

PLEASE, organisers, look after us the spectators!!

Rusty

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: ironman october 2018

If you want to be near the finish line, you should plan to walk. There isn't much parking in Kona and there will be road closures. Ironman takes over the roads.

Here is a blog which has some tips: …blogspot.com/2014/10/ironman-world-champion… (don't rent a moped though)

The Ironman website also has articles on advice for spectators. It basically boils down to: get there by 4:30 am and don't plan to leave until it's all over. Again, the roads will be closed, so there are no shuttles. Here is the road closure info: http://www.ironman.com/~/media/44dd95398eab42bcb0c830bf6c1f79aa/18konaroadclosures2bw%20080918.pdf

No California
Level Contributor
260 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: ironman october 2018

There is no problem getting to the finish line, as stated above the problem will be where to park. It also depends on what time your son hopes to finish.

We work as catchers at the finish line most years, and come into town about 7 PM. Due to the highway closure we come via the upper highway (190) and end up parking on Palani. People come and go throughout the day so at some times you may have to park further away and at other times you might find a spot that has opened up closer in. So just give yourself plenty of time to find a parking space and to walk in to the finish line.

There are some great opportunities to view the runners on Polani as they come in off the Queen K highway. Once they pass that intersection and you have cheered them on, you have plenty of time to then walk towards the finish line in order to see them cross and hear those all important words “ Patty C’s son YOU are an IronMan”. That is unless you plan on being there from the start of the swim until your son comes across the finish line. If that is the case I sure hope he gets done in a reasonable length of time because otherwise it’s a very long, long morning till night.

One other tip, sometimes it hard to get a spot along the rail. If you know your son is finishing in just the next couple of minutes, you can try asking somebody to swap places with you for five minutes so you can cheer on your family member. The other thing is that if you are anywhere along the rail prior to the actual finish line you won’t get to see their face, only their back. But if you find a spot behind the finish line, meaning after the finish line, there is a large screen video set up where you can actually see their face. Capturing a photo from this screen is often easier then trying to view in person,

Also, behind the finish line (behind the bleachers), where the catchers lead the athletes out to the medical, medal and food area, is a good place to grab a quick hug from your newly finished Ironman son. The path for the catchers and athletes is roped off, but right along side of it is a walkway where you can wait to see him. Obviously you can’t be in two places at once, so you have to choose what’s important to you.

Good luck to both you and your son.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: ironman october 2018

Thanks for the confirmation of the difficulties. We're a bit old to be standing around all day!

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: ironman october 2018

Terrific detail and very helpful, thanksl. Wonder if we can get out of our Kona Coast Resort turning right on to Ali'i Road and head for the 190 Highway to get near the action around Palani?

No California
Level Contributor
260 posts
31 reviews
10. Re: ironman october 2018

…ironman.com/fr-ca/…road-closure.aspx Is a link for the road closures.

Reply to: ironman october 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona
Recent Conversations