We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving buffet near Halualoa

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
66 posts
Thanksgiving buffet near Halualoa

My family is looking for a Thanksgiving buffet near Halualoa. We are looking for something With really great food, a higher end buffet that would still be suitable for children. If it has an ocean view that would be even better! Any recommendations?

5 replies to this topic
Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,000 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Thanksgiving buffet near Halualoa

Do you mean Holualoa?

Basically no one does those big buffets but the hotels, and only the better hotels, which are on the Kohala Coast. The Four Seasons usually doesn’t open to the public on the major winter holidays. The Mauna Lani will be closed for renovation. The Marriott and the Hilton are not known for good food. That leaves the Fairmont (not sure it does a buffet), the Mauna Kea, and the Westin Hapuna. Mauna Kea has traditionally done a day brunch.

I went to the Hapuna Thanksgiving buffet in 2015. It was reasonably priced and right on the ocean. The Hapuna has now changed hands and I can’t say what it will do now, but you can call them. I expect it will be more upscale now, better food, more expensive.

At some point, all the hotel websites will list what they offer on TG, but it might be early.

It’s not a fun drive at night back to Holualoa from the Kohala Coast. I did the reverse once for a wedding in a Holualoa when I was living in Waikoloa. The upper highway is not too safe at night as it is used by crazy speeding local drivers, so the lower highway is the route.

I’m just going to mention that Holualoa is not zoned for vacation rentals, so you can be aware.

I think it’s a pain to use Holualoa as a base, because the road access is either very steep or tortuous slow and narrow winding road in either direction.

The Sheraton Keauhou is the only resort hotel near Holualoa at all. They should do a buffet. Their food is generally rated mediocre by those who have sampled the range, but that’s subject to change, so check it out. It would be a way better drive home, and it is on the ocean.

Lastly, if the Holuakoa Cafe is open, check it out, considered an excellent place for food, if not the wine, probably not a buffet place, as it’s a small locally run cafe. Known for slow service, so I’m not sure it’s ideal for children, but it’s in your neck of the woods. That’s not my area, so for all I know it’s not even there any more, as independent restaurants come and go here, but last I knew it was an option.

connecticut
Level Contributor
134 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: Thanksgiving buffet near Halualoa

Check with the Four Seasons just to be sure. Several years ago I was able to have a lovely Thanksgiving buffet there even though I was not staying at the hotel. They had a very early seating, 3:00 or 3:30 I think, and that was the only seating open to outsiders. I found the time to be perfect, ate very lightly during the day, pigged out at the buffet.

Many many years ago my husband and I went to the Hilton buffet....mediocre and I'm being somewhat generous. We've also done the Fairmont, better than Hilton but not outstanding. FS is leagues better.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,000 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Thanksgiving buffet near Halualoa

Yes, second that excellent suggestion.

Sometimes they take walk-ins when they are not offering reservations, although one would prefer to have a definite plan for this day. But the chances may be quite good that you get in.

I have always found the Mauna Kea brunch buffet to be excellent. It may not be what you’d call innovative cuisine, as you’ll find at 4S, but everything was executed well and the abundance and variety is all one could ask, as is the view.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
66 posts
4. Re: Thanksgiving buffet near Halualoa

Thank you for your thoughts, yes I did mean Holualoa. I had wanted to stay on the Kohola Coast but another family member booked the place and we are now unable to cancel. I didn’t realize that it was a bit of a pain to get to and from. It’s also interesting that it can’t legally be a rental, is that certain?

We are already doing the luau at the Sheraton so I really would rather not go there twice.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,000 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Thanksgiving buffet near Halualoa

Nothing is certain without knowing exact location, but unless it’s in the commercial zoning, it’s not zoned for transient rentals. Residential and agricultural zoning is not for transient rentals. Resort zoning is the proper zoning, and there’s none of that in Holualoa.

A place can get a tax license from the State of Hawaii without being compliant with County law.

The Sheraton lu’au has been critiqued in the past for doing the pig in an oven and using liquid smoke, instead of using a traditional umu method. I’m not up on what the do now. I don’t think luaus are worth doing at all, but people seem set on them for the first trip. They are not authentic, just kind of mediocre food and usually good dancing, but it’s a floor show for tourists. Real luaus are nothing like these commercial shows.

Reply to: Thanksgiving buffet near Halualoa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona
Recent Conversations